1974 85 johnson needs starting fluid?

gonzalez1975

Cadet
I have to spray fuel in the carb to start my 85 johnson. Afterwards it will restart fine as long as the engine is warm. How do I get it to start without spraying fuel in the carb?

nate1220

Seaman
Re: 1974 85 johnson needs starting fluid?

I assume you are choking it when you cold start it and priming it.

gonzalez1975

Cadet

Yes. Sqeezing the bulb until its hard and the choke is closing.

nate1220

Seaman

When is the last time you did a carb rebuild?

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

do you choke with pushing in the key ? does your engine have a choke solenoid or is it the old style electric shoke or manual??..

I just looked at the diagrams for your engine and I do not see what the choking mechanism is..

I'm thinking there has to be something for cold starting

gonzalez1975

Cadet

The choking mechanism is a solenoid. I have to push the key in to choke.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds as if your choke is not closing all the way. Check to make sure its working properly. Have some one turn and push the key in while looking at the choke and throat of the carb. It shouldnt close tight but open just a hair. I beleive on your motor you can adjust the choke solenoid closer to get it to close all the way but i might be mistaken.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

by the way shouldnt use starting fluid. very bad for 2 strokes washes oil away.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

The choking mechanism is a solenoid. I have to push the key in to choke.

ok cool..then after pumping the primer..you turn and push the key to choke it.. so have you tried turning the key (not to start),,and push and hold for a few seconds,,like 8-10??.. some times it can take alittle time to get the fuel up..if you have tried and it still doesnt work then your next step is to check the solenoid..

you should have two wires to it... have your buddy turn the key and hold it and out a few times while you are at the solenoid...you should here it clicking..if you dont then i would suspect you dont have power to it or its stuck..which is ok cuz you can take it apart and clean it...

you should read 12v at the solenoid when the key is pushed in..if you dont have voltage there then you may have a bad key switch..if you do then its probably stuck or bad.

the chole solenoid is your cold starting device...so it makes sense that its not working since you have to start fluid before she catches..

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

There is confusion here.You dont have a primer,you have a butterfly operated choke,as long as your squeeze ball is hard,and when you push key in ,the choke should ,as said,pretty much close off the opening of the carb,how it works is,as the engine rotates ,it causes a suction on the carb,if the butterfly choke is closed ,the suction should pull fuel from the carb bowl,if the butterfly wont close enough ,the suction is lost,so you get no draw on the choke tube,you can adjust the choke solonoid to pull the choke closed more.You can also try it by choking by use of a rag for a test,be sure you dont allow debris to be sucked in.If it just dont work,you may need to clean the choke tubes with a small piece of wire.If you rebuilt the carbs ,you should have soaked in a good cab cleaner solution.This is why we always say its important to totally dissamble the carbs.The small passages in the carbs cannot be seen by eye,

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The chokes should close 100%, and stay closed while you crank the engine. You have to watch the plates to be sure that they are doing that while you crank.

If they do not stay closed, synchronize them with the carburetor linkage, then move the solenoid in small increments until they do.

You still need a minimum of 250 RPM for a cold start.

gonzalez1975

Cadet

Guys, thanks for the advice. The choke is working. It does however open by itself after a few seconds while I turn the key. Is it suppose to do that?
I would like to know more about the carbs passages that can't be seen. Where are they?
After taking the boat out today for the first time as its owner (it was my brother's) I notice that it never wants to start unless I spray fuel in the carb.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Guys, thanks for the advice. The choke is working. It does however open by itself after a few seconds while I turn the key. Is it suppose to do that?
I would like to know more about the carbs passages that can't be seen. Where are they?
After taking the boat out today for the first time as its owner (it was my brother's) I notice that it never wants to start unless I spray fuel in the carb.

The choke opening by itself indicates that the automatic choke is still connected. Most of them were disconnected by service departments many years ago. I would recommend that you do the same.

Click the thumbnail twice for the service bulletin and instructions that will enable you to maintain complete control of the chokes.

Attachments

• 1335 Choke Thermo Switch.jpg
    1335 Choke Thermo Switch.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

After you have rewired for complete control of the chokes, you still need to assure that they are fully, 100% closing when you flip the switch, and staying closed while you crank the engine. If they don't stay closed, loosen the yoke and move the choke solenoid in small increments until they do.

If you get the chokes working correctly you will have no need to spray anything into the carburetors.

gonzalez1975

Cadet

The choke opening by itself indicates that the automatic choke is still connected. Most of them were disconnected by service departments many years ago. I would recommend that you do the same.

Click the thumbnail twice for the service bulletin and instructions that will enable you to maintain complete control of the chokes.

This sounds like it would do the trick! Where are these terminals the letter speaks of? And are they numbered like what is mentioned in the letter?

Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Terminal Block - click the thumbnail.

Attachments

• V4 Terminal Block 2.jpg
    V4 Terminal Block 2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0

gonzalez1975

Cadet

Here's the latest on my starting problem. I manually held the choke closed while my son turned the key (several times) - no start-up. I checked the week-old plugs. They were wet and oily. Each of them did spark. The fuel that I've been spraying in the carbs to get the motor started came out of my weedeater jug. Could there be something wrong with my fuel. I mix it 50:1 with penzoil synthetic marine 2-cycle and 87 octane. It does run though after I get it started.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When you "manually held the chokes closed" are you saying that you held the choke plates down inside the carburetor throats?

If you did that and the engine did not start, then your idle capillaries are clogged and you need to service your carburetors.