VRO Pump 92 Evinrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all - I was reading around and I know that the VRO pumps can cause quite a few problems - but I was wondering, what are the symptoms of a bad VRO pump?

is it possible that a VRO pump can inject too much oil? And if so, what kind of problems could that create?

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice
Re: VRO Pump 92 Evinrude

yeah, I did read that, actually, I found that posted somewhere here this morning. Interesting read -

That said, I have trouble shooted everything BUT the VRO at this point.

I have a stalling at idle problem that I have been trying to figure out for the last year or so - It's not a consistant problem but problematic all the same when it does happen.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

yeah, I did read that, actually, I found that posted somewhere here this morning. Interesting read -

That said, I have trouble shooted everything BUT the VRO at this point.

I have a stalling at idle problem that I have been trying to figure out for the last year or so - It's not a consistant problem but problematic all the same when it does happen.

I'm living your nightmare as we speak...well, not really but almost..

Have you looked at the carbs yet?..low idle orifice could be restricted some or some trash in the fuel might be blocking it from time to time casuing you headaches...

The vro will introduce more oil when you are sucking air in the fuel side somewhere... so yes it can do that..as far as harm??..well it will be smoking like a SOB..and you will burn through the oil pretty fast..

I just picked up a rebuild for mine and did it yesterday...vro isnt pumpin as well i I expected..thats my nightmare now...

you can rebuild the fuel side only on these...not the oil side..

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

I'm living your nightmare as we speak...well, not really but almost..

Have you looked at the carbs yet?..low idle orifice could be restricted some or some trash in the fuel might be blocking it from time to time casuing you headaches...

The vro will introduce more oil when you are sucking air in the fuel side somewhere... so yes it can do that..as far as harm??..well it will be smoking like a SOB..and you will burn through the oil pretty fast..

I just picked up a rebuild for mine and did it yesterday...vro isnt pumpin as well i I expected..thats my nightmare now...

you can rebuild the fuel side only on these...not the oil side..

yes, the carbs (all 6) were rebuilt. Interesting what you are saying about air on the fuel side - I had Grady White look at my carbs and what they did was drill a hole to adjust for air as they thought it wasn't getting enough. On these carbs there is not any air/fuel mixture adjustment so they "made" a permanent flow of air adjustment.

The motor appears to be running very rich, too much oil.. smokes a whole lot, and it burns oil like crazy just as you are explaining.

BTW, I am running a 1992 V6 175 Evinrude.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

yes, the carbs (all 6) were rebuilt. Interesting what you are saying about air on the fuel side - I had Grady White look at my carbs and what they did was drill a hole to adjust for air as they thought it wasn't getting enough. On these carbs there is not any air/fuel mixture adjustment so they "made" a permanent flow of air adjustment.

The motor appears to be running very rich, too much oil.. smokes a whole lot, and it burns oil like crazy just as you are explaining.

BTW, I am running a 1992 V6 175 Evinrude.

I have an 86 140 v4 Evinrude. The air leak i speak of isnt at the carbs. I dont understand why drilling holes was the fix but hey I dont design engines..

When i say air leak I mean from the tank..all the way up to the inlet of the pump. with the recent add of Ethanol old lines are getting softer..so what was a good connection before..turn into a soft connection now.. this is also why they say to use special clamps rather than worm clamps or tye straps. they dont close off the connection well..

once you have air bubles the vro pumps faster..it thinks there is more fuel so it pumps more oil.. so much so that I often get puddles of oil at the air silencer that covers the carbs..

I plan on going through all of my hoses and replacing with alcohol resistant ones..and change the clamps out.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

oh, I see what you are saying... the gas tank is new, I'd imagine they replaced the hoses.. I hope so..

I have to look into this more..I am leaning at this point on the problem (or maybe part of the problem?) being the pump but I do not want to spend $300 and it NOT be the problem...

thanks for your input!!!!

TD

keymanrick

Cadet
I have a 94 evinrude 150. New power head and electronics also put on, had the carbs rebuilt. My problem is at mid range she acts like she may be flooding. at idle it smoke a lot. Plugs are wet and dark from the oil and fuel. When I am running at higher speeds and slow down for no wake zones I can smell the fuel. Could this be my VRO/Fuel pump ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 94 evinrude 150. New power head and electronics also put on, had the carbs rebuilt. My problem is at mid range she acts like she may be flooding. at idle it smoke a lot. Plugs are wet and dark from the oil and fuel. When I am running at higher speeds and slow down for no wake zones I can smell the fuel. Could this be my VRO/Fuel pump ?

Did you see this thread has been dormant over 7 years since a new post?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.