SOS Evinrude Special

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, I picked up a 1988 Evinrude special 48 hp a few weeks back and discovered a problem. Under pressure the engine dies out when you put it into Forward or Reverse. The compression on the lower cylinder (V2 engine) seems to be shot (30 lbs of pressure vs. the 90 lbs on the top). To check it I sprayed some motor oil through the lower spark plug hole, and the compression shot up to 70 lbs of pressure. I didn't pay much for the motor; it also has a load of brand new parts in it (powerpack, prop, stator, starter, solenoid). How big/expensive of a job would it be to change the piston/piston rings on this motor? Is it worth it? What should I do at this point? Any advice appreciated.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: SOS Evinrude Special

So, I picked up a 1988 Evinrude special 48 hp a few weeks back and discovered a problem. Under pressure the engine dies out when you put it into Forward or Reverse. The compression on the lower cylinder (V2 engine) seems to be shot (30 lbs of pressure vs. the 90 lbs on the top). To check it I sprayed some motor oil through the lower spark plug hole, and the compression shot up to 70 lbs of pressure. I didn't pay much for the motor; it also has a load of brand new parts in it (powerpack, prop, stator, starter, solenoid). How big/expensive of a job would it be to change the piston/piston rings on this motor? Is it worth it? What should I do at this point? Any advice appreciated.

I bet the pistons from a company like Wiseco will run $125 each they will come with a pin and rings though

if your compression gauge is any good, i think you should do both cylinders.

I have a 1988 48 special and it has 150 lbs in each cylinder!!

so 90 seems way off..

if they were both 90, I would say run it...

but since you are maybe gonna rip it apart...do both

depending on the cylinder finnish, you may have to bore( dont know why the compression is so low...somethign went bad!!!)

you have to be thinking $500 in parts to rebuild it...gaskets, bearings, cleaners, machine shop work..pistons...carb rebuild kits..fuel pump,

the first step is popping the cylinder head and looking at the bore

then you still dont buy parts till you take the crank out. and make sure is isnt ruined

if you get it rebuilt, you should be at the feel good spot of worry freeness though!!!

like a brand new motor...fresh high compression clean carbs...

if you part it out, Id be interested in the LOWER unit

the 48hp I have came from a buddy and he told me the LU had issues...but i dont know what they are yet...havent put it on a boat yet

good luck

bob

maybe even $700