1966 Evinrude Sport-four 60hp

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well guys im blown away ...

The motor runs great in the barrel .I take the boat out it wont run half throttle with a load on it WONT EVEN PLANE THE BOAT!!!

New plugs/coil/condenser/set points .20 /set timing dead on. Carbs are spotless!!!!! high speed jets are fixed.

i dont know whats wrong this thing idles great but under a load its like the timing goes wacko! braking up and cuts in and out.

maybe its a bad motor its got 80psi in all 4 cyls ? i dont know what the compression should be for a 1966 evinrude.

I have every manual,chart online for every outboard ever made ive tried everything. :confused:

I was gonna take it to the shop but every were i go they say its not worth the money for me to get it right .... I think they are just scared ... I know its gotta be something simple im missing .

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1966 Evinrude Sport-four 60hp

ok i started over from SCRATCH! pulled everything apart and its fixed... but i do have a small problem with a set of wires . no biggie i guess if i can find them .They are the screw in kind .

I set the timeing at WOT and it ran great no more braking up and it goes WOT with a load on it strap down on the trailer like its trying to push the boat up the ramp.:D

I think all my problems are finely over with ..It will be nice to get this old beast running down the river.

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1966 Evinrude Sport-four 60hp

What did you find wrong with it?

Well im thinking i didint have the points just right ?...

I was setting the points at idle .. i put the control at full throttle set the points and redid the timing and she runs very good now and idle's like a dream.

Now i need a new set of plug wires i just broke the old ones messing around with them.:eek: