Oil primer bulb replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champion Bob

Recruit
After wandering the web and checking this forum I have not been able to find any info on replacing my oil primer bulb.

I have a 2003 200hp Evinrude ficht bombardier two-stroke. I have a small leak in the oil primer bulb and need to replace it, but am concerned about "getting air in the line," if that would be problematic.

After replacing the bulb, do I need to disconnect the line at the motor and prime oil throughout the hose to the end, or can I just replace the bulb and pump to prime it?

I have purchased a non-OEM bulb from BassPro Shops, would you recommend using this or getting an OEM bulb?

I also get one beep from the alarm at start-up. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

ADKoutboard

Cadet
Re: Oil primer bulb replacement

I have a 2003 200hp Evinrude ficht bombardier two-stroke. I have a small leak in the oil primer bulb and need to replace it, but am concerned about "getting air in the line," if that would be problematic.

After replacing the bulb, do I need to disconnect the line at the motor and prime oil throughout the hose to the end, or can I just replace the bulb and pump to prime it?

I have purchased a non-OEM bulb from BassPro Shops, would you recommend using this or getting an OEM bulb?

I also get one beep from the alarm at start-up. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

You should disconnect it at the motor and get the air out. Get an OEM bulb!!!

And the beep at start up is the "System Check" self test beep, that is normal. You should also have a set of four lights that come on together and then go off one by one when you turn the key on. (i.e.; check engine, low oil, no oil, and hot/temp lights)

Hope that helps you out!

Tarren

Now get out on the water, and have fun!

Champion Bob

Recruit

Thanks for the help Tarren! Glad I joined the forum, really appreciate the quick reply.
Cheers!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The oil tank primer bulb is a special bulb. 1/4" hose. Ask any Bombardier dealer for part # 175985. If the hose is hard/stiff, you may want to replace it also. Oil hoase is a yellow stripe hose, also available from your dealer.

Champion Bob

Recruit

Yeah you are right, OEM is the way to go especiially for a part that's only a couple bucks more from Evinrude.
Thanks for the info!

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

The oil tank primer bulb is a special bulb. 1/4" hose. Ask any Bombardier dealer for part # 175985. If the hose is hard/stiff, you may want to replace it also. Oil hoase is a yellow stripe hose, also available from your dealer.

What's the difference between oil hose and fuel hose?

clanton

Rear Admiral

The oil hose is 1/4 inch thick walled hose. Regular hose easy to kink, and pulled closed by vacuum.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

The oil hose is 1/4 inch thick walled hose. Regular hose easy to kink, and pulled closed by vacuum.

The reason I ask is that the oil tank I have is rigged with what is labeled OMC fuel hose. It take off from a professionally rigged boat that d/c'd the oil injection. I bought it to replace a damaged tank that came with an engine I bought a couple of years ago. The clamped connections all look "factory" - where the hose is connected to the tank, and where the hose is connected to both ends of the primer bulb. They are the metal band type clamps you see with OEM fuel line and primer bulbs. It all looked OEM to me so I didn't give it a thought.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Some tanks had incorrect hose from factory. Factory letter about checking and replacing the hose. I say factory, because can`t remember if letter from OMC or BRP. If you disconnect hose at pump end, you can see the difference.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Some tanks had incorrect hose from factory. Factory letter about checking and replacing the hose. I say factory, because can`t remember if letter from OMC or BRP. If you disconnect hose at pump end, you can see the difference.
Ah, thanks much. It's easy enough to change.

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I realize this thread is dated, but can anyone confirm part# 175985 will also work for my 2000 Johnson 150? Also, if the bulb is hard (old) what symptoms might I notice? Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I realize this thread is dated, but can anyone confirm part# 175985 will also work for my 2000 Johnson 150? Also, if the bulb is hard (old) what symptoms might I notice? Thanks.

It sounds like you have more than an old bulb problem. Please start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.