Is there a blue book for motors?

daselbee

Commander
Re: Is there a blue book for motors?

Yes...NADA.com. But it really is not accurate. They post real low numbers for older motors, and they almost always bring much more at sale.

newfiez

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just tried it...I just priced out a 1990 8hp Evinrude I have for sale,
Base $55-65
Suggest List $1336

and a 2000 5hp Evinrude
Base $275-310
Suggest List $1400

I don't know where they get their numbers from, but I'm asking a lot less than they say

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"suggested list" price is MSRP, or in other words, your 8hp motor cost $1400 back in 1990 when it was brand new. Now it's worth $60. (according to NADA)

it's supposed to be based on actual sales, but I'm pretty sure they include junk boats & motors -- like last year maybe 2 sales of 8hp motors were reported to them last year, and both were not running, maybe parts motors, maybe real junkyard stuff. That's just my theory.

Those NADA values are just not realistic.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

There is no blue book price for old outboards, because they're F*****G worthless, unless you're a collector. The avearage boater doesn't want anything, unless they can buy it in new running condition at a scrap motor price. The oldies ore only worth a D***N to us old outboard nuts:D

So....there you have it.

newfiez

Petty Officer 1st Class

"suggested list" price is MSRP, or in other words, your 8hp motor cost $1400 back in 1990 when it was brand new. Now it's worth $60. (according to NADA)

Oh, that make's sense