Please help - 2 dead cylinders on a '89 Johnson 150 v6

atilla

Recruit
Hi,

Trying to help my dad out with his boat, this is my first time working on a 2 cycle outboard.

He said he ran the boat fine after winter, and then his carbs started leaking so he took it to the boat place on the lake and they replaced the gaskets.

The first time he took it out after the gaskets were replaced, on the way back the motor lost power and he saw another unspecified fuel leak.

He took it back to the place, they refunded his labor costs, but said that they would not work on the engine because it wasnt worth their time.

Ok, so here is where I come in, because he pulled the boat out and I came to look at it.

After cleaning and degreasing the damn thing, we got it started and after a while figured out that the top two cylinders on the left side are not firing, and there is still a leak comming from the carbs.

I switched the coils around and isolated the two dead cylinders, I am definitely not getting any spark in top two left, I pulled all plugs and the dead cylinder's plugs look almost new and flooded, wet. Others look very black and soaked too.

I still have to check compression, stuck carb valve, stator, power packs, individual sparkplug spark and all wiring for chaffing?

Any suggestions how to proceed next? Thank you.

atilla

Recruit
Re: Please help - 2 dead cylinders on a '89 Johnson 150 v6

I also saw what looked like big drops of water shooting from the exhaust port on the dead cylinder side, is that bad? I'm reffering to two 3/4' holes in the back of the engine midway between the top of engine and the prop.

atilla

Recruit

Also, is there a way that those people that replaced the carb gaskets, somehow made the fuel valves stick inside?

jonesg

Admiral

Do a compression test.
Then a spark test with an adjustable gap tester, auto stores sell them.
It looks like a powerpack issue, if all 3 cyl's went out on one side it could be stator.

I would order the service book and follow the tests.
www.outboardbooks.com

I'd rebuild all 6 carbs, get the carb kits here on iboats, approx $22 ea.

I think they didn't want to work on it because they can't diagnose it, the work is usually simple once you trace the problem down.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Likely that year V6 has the plastic carb bowls. These are notorious for deforming at the mating surface with the carb body. The older they get, the worse they warp. New bowl gaskets will not fix the problem. Continued running with fuel leaks can cause the some cylinders to run lean. Contact Bombardier about purchasing their replacement aluminum carb bowl kits. You should replace all 3 bowls. It is normal to get some water out of the exhaust relief holes at the top of the midsection. I'd follow Jone's recommendations on testing the ignition system for good spark. An inductive timing light is helpful to show spark condition on each plugwire.