Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1974 Evinrude mate 2hp adjusting needle

here ya go: 0431629

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

alexkbee

Cadet

Hey!! just what i've been looking for :D thx guys.. so now i was given this motor an it's been sitting around for years an i mean years.. so i opened everything up cleaned the carb changed plugs everything seems good till i opened up the bottom half an found white milky oil could this be caused by not stored right for the winter? anyways i changed that put new oil the water pump seems good in it sputters water in the top 4 holes..should i be consered about the white milky oil in the foot? or give it a good run an see if it comes back again?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Just make sure that there is the plastic washer between the gearcase drain hole and the drain screw. Item number #9 in the diagram associated with the link below.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1974/2402E 1974/GEARCASE/parts.html

Some people forget to put them back, the fiber one's can crack or people don't replace worn ones, so water can enter there. Since you already changed the gear oil just monitor the gear oil after a run or two.

If it is still getting water in the gearcase then you may have to order a seal kit and reseal the lower unit. I won't fret until you give it run to see if there is water intrusion.

have fun

alexkbee

Cadet

thanks there was no plastic washer so i'm gunna have to grab 1 tmw, just to be on the safe side, then take it for a run an check when i get home to see if theres any water if so i'll grab the reseal kit for the lower unit :) thanks again for the help

alexkbee

Cadet

alright so i took the Evinrude out an no water comming in so i'm happy about that part :) only thing now is messing around with the rich/lean needle for slow sounds like it wants to shut off giving fast jolts every couple seconds.. other then that runs not to bad ;)

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Here is the link to Joe Reeves carburetor adjustment. Your carburetor has a high speed adjustment(bottom) and a slow speed adjustment (top).

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

This one pertains to you and your motor, but I supplied the link above which is found at the top of the Johnson/Evinrude forum labeled as Secret Files.

--------------------------------------------------
(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle va /lve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

If after you adjust the carb and your still having a problem then you will have to get a carburetor kit for motor and clean it well. Hopefully, with Joe Reeves excellent instructions you will be in business!

alexkbee

Cadet

thanks for the info.. definitely come in handy.. ok so now i think i have another problem i bought new needle valves for low and high i seen that the low valve was bent so replaced them both now i'm having a starting issue like it's starving for gas i checked the fuel line to make sure theres gas comming out an everything seems to be o.k there.. maybe something in the carb?

alexkbee

Cadet

Alright so i took everything apart again...an found something in the carb looks like a small fiber washer which was blocking the pin hole on the high valve..not sure how this had got in there considering i just cleaned the carb out about a week ago..my guess it was on the old needle valve an fell off an when i inserted the new valve must have pushed it throu, i'll have to try an start it up again tmw an see if this was the problem..

alexkbee

Cadet

yup must have been the problem running great now thanks for all the help :D