77 70hp evinrude -changing head gasket??

boatergirl

Recruit
Hi, I have a 77 70h evirude. When idle low, it stalled out. I overheated when I first bought it. I didnt know it needed a new impeller. Didnt drive after alarm went off. Changed the impeller, and got a new starter. Have a new battery, and plugs as well. Now it will turn over, but wont stay running. Had someone look at it, and out of the 3rd cylinder, when plug is removed, it spurts out water.
Does this mean I need a new head gasket?
Are they hard to install? Like, could I get an mechanic to install it?
What about torquing it? and what about gasket glue?
I have read tons of forums to determine, and some say to use gasket goo and others say to NEVER. What should I do??

thx

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 77 70hp evinrude -changing head gasket??

Welcome to iboats.

Yes, if you are getting water in a cylinder you need a new head gasket and yes , a mechanic would be thrilled to change it for you but it will cost you about 4 times what it would to do yourself.

I have done a head gasket and they are super easy, no valves or anything to mess with, if you are at all mechanically inclined and have basic tools you should be able to do this on a Saturday morning.

Head gaskets are designed to seal themselves and don't need any sealer and Napa has a pretty good selection af outboard parts so you coul dprobably get your gasket there.

boatergirl

Recruit
Re: 77 70hp evinrude -changing head gasket??

Thanks, my boyfriend isgoing to try it!! Wish us luck!! Thanks again, this was super helpful!