1986 28 HP Evinrude starter spins but does not engage

Hello...I took out my boat with 1986 28 HP Evinrude starter spins but does not engage??

It started ok then after about 20 minutes stopped the engine and after 20 minutes turned the key and the starter spins but does not kick the gear upwards to turn the engine. I tapped the starter with a wrench and then it started....had to do this everytime I stopped.

What kind of problem am I looking at??

Thank you...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 28 HP Evinrude starter spins but does not engage

I think you might need to remove the starter and overhaul it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Start with spraying some lubricant(silicone or WD40)on the Bendix to loosen things up.

OK ..let me start with the lower cost approach first and then move into overhaul or replacement..thank you both.

Ok...so I cleaned the connections and I did too good a job...here is something for anyone who is going to do this.

The post sticking out the starter with the red wire from the relay....be VERY carefull. When I took the nut off it was rusted and it uncrewed the post...I though nothing of it but when I cranked it it smoked. Apparently tore up the connections inside the started and in turn burned out the relay.:mad::mad:

So I'm going to replace the starter and the realy for good measure.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

that stud has the 2 positive brushes connected to it....you can rebuild it for less than 30 dollars....get a brush kit...install it....get some 1000 grit sandpaper clean the commutater wash the whole starter with some electric cleaner...use some 3 in 1 oil on the bendix gear and its like new again

Al

AL-53...thank you so much..I DID IT!....changed out the brushes and it is humminn.....sweeet. Saved $140.00...thanks again.:D:D