Johnson motor seized

1st_timer

Cadet
Well, I was given a boat that needs a complete overhaul. The motor that came on it is a 19?? Johnson super seahorse ??hp. The sticker on the inside is no longer readable.

motor.jpg

The boat has been sitting since 96 and the cover was off about 3 or 4 inches. Just enough to expose the spark plugs. I took them out and one was a little rusted inside and i looked in the hole and the piston appears to be rusted. I poured Marvel Mystery oil in last week and still nothing. Any ideas on how to un seize? Also if you have any information on the motor (possible year, hp, etc.) That would be great. Thanks in advance!

wbeaton

Commander
Re: Johnson motor seized

There should be a plate on the transom bracket with a model number. Post the number and we can tell you the exact year. Looks like a 1964 40 hp to me. Those motors are so cheap around here I wouldn't bother trying to unstick it. Getting it free doesn't mean it won't blow up as soon as you try to run it. Those motors are posted for sale around here for $200-400 CDN running or not. Very little market for them as they are heavy and super thirsty. I'd look for a parts motor.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Go ahead and IF you can get the motor to turn at all I would tilt it up and pour marvel into the cylinder's........ It may be a long road to getting that motor running again :(

Those old twins were thirsty for their size.

You have a Private Message

1st_timer

Cadet

I would like to at least try and get it running. Worth a shot. The motor is tilted and marvel is doing his thing. I'm just going to let it sit for a couple weeks i guess. Thanks!

***edit*** I will look for the model number tomorrow.

Jay

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I have had several car engines that I have had to use a breaker and just slowly work the crank back and forth a minuscule amount at a time to get the oil worked in there. Not a lot of pressure just back and forth. I couldn't just throw it out though. I'd have to see how far I could get it without putting any money in it just for fun.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
This thread is 7 years old, best to start your own with your questions.