Evinrude 48 Special - Starts like a charm

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

Just picked up a 1988 Evinrude 48hp Special the other day for a Starcraft rebuild I am currently doing. Heard her start up a few times on earmuffs (like a rocket 3 times in a row), reved her up, looked at the inside...lots of new parts, etc.., pretty clean; idles flawlessly; bought it from a guy who seemed to know what he was doing. Anyhow, I didn't have the chance to run it in a lake or in garbage can before buying, and was wondering whether this might be a good idea before mounting it on the boat. What are the chances this thing will give me problems given the minimal indicators i noted here?

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude 48 Special - Starts like a charm

...I say this because I would have to build a motor rack if I where going to do this before mounting it on the boat

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Maybe OK, maybe not. Idling on muffs can be very misleading since the motor is not under load and will run just fine on muffs with dropped cylinders and clogged carbs.
I'd at least check spark with a spark tester or timing light, check compression and check the lower unit gear oil if I could not get it on a boat to test.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right, I figured that. Just me being a bit compulsive I guess...price was pretty good, with new controls...that's the only reason. Not leaking any milky stuff from lower unit; compression tester I had seemed to be leaking air, but after putting my finger in the spark plug holes (individually) after turning her over, the pressure seemed high...blowing my fingers clear out of the holes. Plenty of spark as well.

Guess I should run it in a garbage can under pressure before mounting it then. I know where the guy lives so getting to him if there are any problems that turn up would not be a problem.