basket case 48 hp Evinrude

FUNKJ92

Cadet
I'm putting together a basket case of what I think is a 87 48 hp Evinrude. I have no manual and Im to the point I have questions and no answers. I have the original powerhead that is blown and another that I replaced it with. My guess is the one I have is an older model because it had the older fuel pump that did not mount on the crankcase but on the carb cowling.

My problems are:

1.- I have a electric push switch to choke plunger/spring but nothing to hook it to (butterflys or primer) and no reference and it obviously needs some fuel and wont start without a prime. Once it is primed it seem to run fine. There is a barbed nipple on both carb intakes as if it might be for fuel primer into the intake directly

2- The switch does not work in the off position to shut the motor off. The switch has multi wires/functions and I dont have a swith diagram to go by.I dont know the switches functions to test it properly.

3. There is a little black push switch on the controller and I have not a clue what it does but one side wired to ground.

4. There was a safty switch that was mounted on the block that the throttle linkage acitivated and did not let the ground make to activate the starter sol. It was broken and I wired around it because I didnt have a replacement.

I was wondering being I dont have a manual if anyone had and electrical diagram for this that could help me out?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: basket case 48 hp Evinrude

First, give us the model# of your engine. On the extra powerhead that you have installed, look for a freeze plug about the size of a quarter, it should have a model# on it, list it.
We need to know what we are working on.
You are going to need a manual, should be an OEM manual, might need 2 if the extra powerhead is to far off in year.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have no manual and Im to the point I have questions and no answers. this is your problem. outboardbooks.com i help those who help themselves.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have an 88 48 special and an 80 50 hp...so i might be able to help..I can look at the motors and compare..

but i think even the 80 50 has some type of choke...but it might have been self activating..

I also have a manual now....

a few pictures would help...your contrler sounds like it might have a button for the trim feature...but your motor might not have that feature...

I am guessing you have a remote control motor...because you mention controler, but maybe that is also a term you can use with a tiller control...

get back to us

bob

FUNKJ92

Cadet

I have no manual and Im to the point I have questions and no answers. this is your problem. outboardbooks.com i help those who help themselves.

Im just helping a friend and trying to be of help. Im not in charge of the finances but he's a great friend and I will do what I can for him.

FUNKJ92

Cadet

First, give us the model# of your engine. On the extra powerhead that you have installed, look for a freeze plug about the size of a quarter, it should have a model# on it, list it.
We need to know what we are working on.
You are going to need a manual, should be an OEM manual, might need 2 if the extra powerhead is to far off in year.

the old powerhead had this markings on the freeze plug. E48ESLCUS / C1562246. I couldn't find any of the same marking on the powerhead I am working on.

FUNKJ92

Cadet
Re: basket cas[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/blasterteche 48 hp Evinrude

Re: basket cashttp://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/blasterteche 48 hp Evinrude

[QUOTE="bob johnson, post: 1573386, member: 1575"]I
a few pictures would help...your contrler sounds like it might have a button for the trim feature...but your motor might not have that feature...[/QUOTE]

Here are a few pictures I took all the cowling /bottom end is the old powerheads.

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/blastertech70/100_0042.jpg

100_0041.jpg

100_0040.jpg

100_0039.jpg

100_0044.jpg

100_0043.jpg