Evinrude Carb. Model Number check, Please ??

calboats

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, on the Evinrude 48 eslcus twin -- vintage of 1987 -- that I bought recently, I found that the carbs do not match any numbers or pictures in the repair book. It is a bit of a chore to get it tuned right without knowing what they came off of. I just rebuilt the carbs and got it running, but not at the settings given in the repair book -- by a loong shot. The working setting is 3/4 to one turn open, seems way too little, but what the clymer book says is around a full turn more, and that is way too rich, won't idle at all.

iBoats doesn't seem to know just what they are, and I'm not sure I want to call the local dealer, and get more of a run around on that issue. However I sure do trust you folks to be able to find out what I have -- and maybe an idea of how to set the carbs and a bit better timing settings, with these non-standard parts.

The serial numbers are top --- 318505-D2
lower -- 318505-D4

Yes they do have adjustable needles in the main venturi area, which is what we adjusted. Doesn't look like anything else except the idle adjustments, and coupled throttle linkage. I can send photos, but maybe with an idea of the year, horsepower, and model, I can hunt it down on line someplace. Gotta be someplace, maybe they are for a different power motor ?? Might have got the timing off a touch in remounting, but can't be by much, it just has more vibration now than before, at idle (1200 rpm) but runs well at higher speeds, thats on a "muff".

Thanks Again, Cal Just learning -- best wishes to all for a great summer !!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude Carb. Model Number check, Please ??

I think the serial numbers are actually casting numbers, don't mean much when trying to find part numbers.
It is not uncommon for the low speed jets to run 3/4 to 1 1/4 turn open, thats why they are adjustable.
If they adjust properly and the engine preforms properly you are good to go.

calboats

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Daviet, but I would like to know where this one came from, as the HP is rated in part by carb size, and the timing is also related. Heck, now I still have to do a tuning final adjustment in the water, according to the book.

So, this could be actually a 48, 50, 55, or maybe even 60 hp model depending on carb bores, jetting, and ignition. I am seeing (finally) a reference to an earlier 50 or 55 that used the same block, with the tunable needles, at one turn out. That is as early as my book goes, but I bought a CD that has more references, should be in soon.

Still looking, but with more hope now, thanks, Cal

calboats

Seaman Apprentice

Think i found as close as I will get. The adjustable jets were a clue, to(possibly) a 1984 model. From the Clymer '73 to '90 Shop manual, page 274, I finally saw that the (approximately one) turn to open applies specifically to the 1984 model 75 hp (3 cyl.) motor, and 48 to 60 twins. The rest show 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns (which was waaay too rich!) to run. Originally one needle was set to 3/4 turn, other one stuck and not readable.

I polished the needles, adjusted to 1 and a touch -- runs much better, and the plugs look just a bit damp -- that will lean out at the lake no doubt. Thanks guys, Cal