Evinrude has trouble on water, fine on the hose?

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice
Put the boat in today and it starts and idles great. Also throttles up real niclely on the warm up lever. However, it dies unless you throw it into gear quickly, and with the control lever all the way forward (carbs are wide open at this point) the boat, along with the engine runs very slowly, and has trouble staying running. It dies when I try to go back to neutral. I am experiencing the same problem in reverse.

Also, it runs fine on the hose in my yard, and great in full throttle in forward and reverse. Why does it only have trouble in gear on the water?

For the first half of forward and reverse, the throttle does not increase, only through the second half to the full speed position.

Again, it throttles up fine when its not in gear. Im only having a problem in gear on the water.

What can I do to fix this?

1978 - 85hp Evinrude Outboard 85895C

I appreciate the help! Want to salvage whats let of today...

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude has trouble on water, fine on the hose?

The problem on the hose is no "back pressure" created as the exhaust exits. In the water, the exhaust has to overcome the water pressure when the leg is immersed.

Mas

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I would check spark, compression and fuel delivery. Maybe your engine is not running on all cylinders.

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice

I understand what you are saying about the exhaust pressure. I have adjusted the idle speed, so now when the handle is all the way forward, the carb is all the way open. However, when the motor is put in gear, with the handle all the way forward, all I get is a slow no wake speed, and the motor just puttering.

As I said earlier, it runs GREAT with the warm up lever when in neutral.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The carbs need cleaning. It runs OK on the hose because there is no backpressure in the exhaust. Once in the water the carbs are not delivering enough fuel to make enough power to overcome the backpressure. Clean the carbs completely.

Keep in mind that if any of the cylinders are not getting enough fuel, they are not getting oil either.

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice

That makes sense, the motor had trouble staying running while in gear. I tried it again later today and its working better.

Before we got the boat this year, it had sat for a few years. Only thing we did with the carbs is spray them down with carb cleaner.

I think Ill go out on the boat tomorrow morning and see what happens. It moves, just slowly. It does seem to have gotten a little better. Could going out and running it in gear help to burn off gunk deep in the carbs?

I have it at the dock now (was able to get it from the ramp to there okay) I'd rather not have to remove both carbs if I don't have to...

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys not done yet!

The boat is idling good now and goes into gear okay. Like I said earlier, runs in gear fine on hose just not in water.

PROBLEM:However still runs extremely slow in gear and stalls out every now and then. (Has a lot of troubling staying running in gear.)

I think I may have found the problem though! Just need a little clarification if this could be it.

4777769720_e8ebe35ccb_b.jpg

As you can see the gas line is splitting at the end, and coming loose from the fitting. You can also see gas underneath that has leaked out as a result.

Could fixing this hose solve my problem?

-Thanks