Help w/shifter cable

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My lower end problem turns out to be a misadjustment in the shifter cable. I had no forward gear, heard clicking. So I attempted to adjust the darn thing for the last 2 nites and cannot for the life of me get both forward and reverse to engage. Its either one or the other, not both. I can get forward set to engage, but then reverse clicks and I can push the lever by hand but not with the cable. Vice versa with reverse if I get it set. There has to be a happy medium. What do I need to do????
TIA - Jody

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help w/shifter cable

I wanted to add that it seems awful hard to manually push & pull lever into gear. It looks as though the lever at the rod is rubbing engine block. Does anyone have a parts pic of that area so i can see if I'm missing a bushing or something??

GatorMike

Ensign

I have a question for you that the outboard gurus never ask probably because they are not as stupid as us plain folk and have never made this mistake, but have you had your lower unit off anytime lately? If so did you turn the shift rod while you had it off? Screwing that shift rod out just one or two turns can have the very effect you mention.

Only mentioned this because I did it once and if the shift rod is set at the wrong height all the adjusting in the world of the cables is not going to correct the problem.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gatormike - I havent had it off, but i believe the previous owner had. Now the question is this: Do I need to drop it again or can the shift rod be adjusted FROM THE TOP???

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, anyone???? How can I check the shift rod height without dropping the gearcase???

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If I am thinking correctly, you have to have the lower unit off to set the shift rod to the correct lenth.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I am thinking correctly, you have to have the lower unit off to set the shift rod to the correct lenth.

You dont think theres a way to turn the shift rod from the top or to get a correct measurement?

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is this a mechanical or HYDRO-mechanical gearcase? I ask because I have an evinrude/johnson manual and it speaks of these 2 gearcases. The measurements are in the book and if I can properly measure the shift rod and adjust without removing, I'd be a happy camper.