88 evinrude vro 70 hp to regular fuel pump

ccook101282

Cadet
i have a 1988 Evinrude VRO 70 hp motor and I am changing it over to a regular fuel pump. i am not exactly sure how to do it. i have the new fuel pump. i already disconnected the wiring from the oil tank and pump and took off the oil line. what's next? any help would be greatly appreciated

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 88 evinrude vro 70 hp to regular fuel pump

sending this to someone that has done it on that motor.

ccook101282

Cadet

what confuses me is the pulse line from the crank case. what do i do with that. the new fuel pump that the dealer gave me has a gas in and out.

:confused:

tashasdaddy

dealer gave you the wrong pump. you need 0385784 FUEL PUMP ASSY.

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did that job last fall on my '89 70. If the dealer has given you the right pump, then it has fuel in, fuel out, and a pulse line; as I recall, it was pretty easy to tell which is which. The pulse line simply connects, via fuel line, to the crankcase at the same place the existing VRO pump does.

You'll need to make some type of bracket to mount the new pump - I made one that attaches using one of the bolts that holds the exhaust cover on, but you could put it elsewhere. You'll really like the new pump as the smaller size makes it very easy to get to the shift rod.

I can take pics, but won't be able to do so for a couple of weeks when I get back from vacation.

Tim

ccook101282

Cadet

so the new pump should have a gas in, pulse line in, and a line out to the carbs?
the pump they gave me was a sierra Part # 18-7352 (OMC 438556)

ccook101282

Cadet

ok i put the correct pump on and now it wont start

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i put the correct pump on and now it wont start

Pump the bulb a few times until it firms up. You should then be able to start the motor on the fuel in the float bowls, even if the pump isn't pumping. If it still won't start, you probably have fuel the connections to the pump hooked up wrong.

If it does start, but then dies out after it uses the fuel in the carbs, check the pulse line and connections for an air leak.

ccook101282

Cadet

i did that all already. put fuel in the carbs. it fired up and then died out. gas line in to the outside black fitting, the line from the brass fitting to the carbs, and pulse is hooked up to the other black fitting. all the lines are tight.

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then the remaining possibilities are a leaking pulse connection or a bad pump. I'd vote for the leaky connection - it's really tough to get those on there right. Did you use snapper clamps? Zip ties? Hose clamps? I think I used two snapper clamps on each end of my pulse hose. Good luck!

ccook101282

Cadet

i used hose clamps. i'm pretty sure it is the pump.

tashasdaddy

are you connected properly from thank goes to black plastic piece, to carbs is the middle connector, pulse is the back connector. also are you sure you have pulse hose, and not recirc hose that goes to the air silencer.

red from tank

green to carbs

yellow to pulse

Attachments

• Ahmic 2008 121.jpg
    Ahmic 2008 121.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 5

tashasdaddy

arrow on prime bulb pointed toward motor? it should run.

awsome66nova

Cadet

How do you keep track of these posts, they go from 2005 to 2010, and skip all around. Whats up with that>?

awsome66nova

Cadet

OK, I get it now, it's not when the post were made it's when the poster joined the group. Man I am sorry I took up some space someone else could have used for useful information.