help troubleshooting 1974 85HP evinrude

triathloner

Recruit
So last year I was having very hard starting, ran fine when up to temp, would seriously crank for many minutes till it started to cough. So I cleaned carbs, and replaced fuel pump, pretty much didn't help, maybe started a little sooner. Now I actually bought some carb kits from this site (thanks for the deal) and redid the carbs, now it fires right up pretty much but runs at a very high idle and won't slow down, I squirted some carb cleaner around the gaskets and such while runing to see if I had a vacuum leak and couldn't really find any. It also has a very slight miss when it's running at high idle. Could it be a crankcase leak? Any way to check for that? While running at high idle I can see that both throttle plates are all the way closed so I don't think its a sinc issue? Are there any tutorials on how to sink the carbs and get the timing advance in the right place? My next step is going to be to get a good manual, does anyone know anywhere to get a evinrude original, or reprint? Thanks for your help. Al.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: help troubleshooting 1974 85HP evinrude

LIKELY IS a sync and link.Do a search for sync and link,your cables and or the throttle arm is out of adjustment