Won't Start <> 1988 28 Hp SPL Johnson

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good spark both top & bottom plugs.

Top cylinder is wet,(maybe to much/not sure?) bottom cylinder is dry air, no fuel mixture.

Before I pull the carb & intake any suggestions as to what may cause this problem

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Won't Start <> 1988 28 Hp SPL Johnson

That engine should start and idle on one cylinder. The fault is not with just one cylinder.

I do not trust wet/dry for diagnosis. Go to the Engine FAQs Forum or the Top Secret File ^^ and do the "Outboard won't start" troubleshooting.

Let us know the results.

Good luck. :)

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks I went down the list, I planned to check the float seat needle. But I am wondering could I have a problem with the leaf valves ?

While checking the top plug I was able to fire off the mixture as it left the cylinder, tried this with the bottom cylinder spark was strong however did not light off the mixture, nothing

I have what I believe to be a strong spark = 1/8 arc gap, appears more white than blue ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

using adjustable spark tester, you should get a 3/8 to 1/2 inch blue arc. 7/16 if electric start.

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went down the list, found some crap in the float valve seat.

It starts fine, but coughs/sputter ~ 10>15 Sec apart. I have ordered a spark gap tester, I?ll let you know what I find.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Did you overhaul the carb or just clean the needle and seat? Might still have trash in the rest of the carb circuts.

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rebuilt the carb and ran it for a short time before I placed motor in storage. Pickled the motor and put it in storage.

The cough is slight, otherwise motor runs fairly smooth. I am not sure is this is normal for this motor?

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spark tester arrived today,used it and the spark was bright blue and 7/16" long. This is a cool tool, glad I ordered one.

The motor is running better, time to list it for sale.

Thanks for the help

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the coughing you describe with my motor "mines an 89 20hp" as well. It took me a while to find what was causing it, but it was my old fuel lines, the ethanol in the gas today will eat those old lines. I would suggest replacing all your fuel lines with ethanol friendly lines and make sure when you clean your carb to pull the plugs! I never did this at first, but on the last time I did and found pieces of fuel line in there.

Good luck