1927 johnson model a35

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i got one of these motors in a package deal and it appears to be complete but i have a few questions.
1. where can i get a carb kit for this motor
2. what should i do to get this motor running
3. where is the throttle on this damn thing
4. thank you.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1927 johnson model a35

1. where can i get a carb kit for this motor :D:D:D:D:D:D

May have to make your own gaskets, or try and salvage the ones you have. Just clean the carb up and that thing should be fine. Those old Johnson A models were actually very co-operative motors and good runners.

2. what should i do to get this motor running

I would clean and adjust the points. Replace the spark plug leads. Make sure tha gas tank is good and clean.

3. where is the throttle on this damn thing

There may likely be a little thumb lever on the carb. I can't remember. I had a 29 model myself and it seems like it had one. The timer lever also works to throttle up too.
4. thank you.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You should go to the aomci.org website. Those folks deal with the older engines a lot better. They will be able to answer your questions.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not getting any spark on this motor. any idea as to where i can find a new coil, spark plug wires and a condenser?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would try your local marine supply. Some of these places sell the spark plug lead by the foot. As I stated in my last post here, make sure the points are clean, before you right off the rest of the ignition system. Coils are pretty tough and rarely go out. The condensors would probably be the thing that needs replacing, but I would replace the spark plug leads first (because that is cheaper) and clean the points. If that fails, then scout out a pair of condensors.:cool: