79 Ranger. 115 Evinrude. Which steering system?

_7_

Cadet
I am working on replacing my steering system on my 79 Ranger.
Currently it has a rack and pinion system which is very stiff and difficult to turn. So what I am wanting to know is can I replace with either a rotary or r/p set up?

I am sure someone will say just replace with the same r/p style. I am just curious if a rotary will work or which would really be smoother turning.

Thanks

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 79 Ranger. 115 Evinrude. Which steering system?

I replaced the R/P in a 90 HP 17'starcraft I used to own with rotary because it was cheaper and I didn't really look to closely at the information on the rotary. I found out the rotary wasn't recommended for anything over 90 HP, so I had in effect reduced the HP capacity of my boat from 115 to 90. If I had it to do over I would have gotten R/P again, the rotary worked OK and for all I know is still working OK, I sold the boat in 2006.

Check the data on the rotary cable you are looking at and see if it is suitable for the 115 motor.

The r/p I took out was shot so the rotary was smoother, but I'm sure it was just because it was new.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Have you investigatged changing just the cable? If a replacement is still available, that would be the cheapest route. The part number of the cable should be heat-stamped into the cable housing about 2 feet from the engine end. The rotary system is frequently used in applications where you don't have room inside under the dash/console for the rack.

_7_

Cadet

I will test the unit and try to see if it is the cable and maybe repace that.
Thanks for the info.