35 HP Starter Wiring

rdy2ride

Recruit
Hey All, New to the forum and a big thanks go out to the creators and supporters of the forum.
Looking for a simple wiring diagram to install electric start on 1976 evinrude 35. Have most of the components from donor engine, I think. Mostly, puzzled over the start in gear switch on starboard side of engine. The wiring seems to be such that the wiring is grounded when in neutral? This seems like it would cause a short. :confused: Any ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 35 HP Starter Wiring

The "gear switch" is actually called a Neutral Safety Switch. The grounding action simply completes the accuating circuit flowing thru the starter solenoid windings, otherwise the solenoid could not engage.

Bat POS (+) cable to one of the large starter solenoid terminals. Other large solenoid terminal to elec starter.

Wire from "S" (solenoid) terminal of ignition switch to one of the small 3/8" nut terminals of the starter solenoid. Wire for the remaining 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid to the safety switch (switch is self grounding when activated). That's it.

76_40HPWIRINGDIAGRAMgrp.jpg

rdy2ride

Recruit

Thanks a million, Joe. That is exactly the info that I needed to complete the wiring. Once I connected the neutral switch wire to solenoid and the "actuator" lead coming from key switch, the old girl fired right up!

Thanks again for the info.

Danny

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joe or anyone else - does it matter which wire goes to which side of the solenoid?
The manual diagram seems to show it one way, yet my harness I'm trying to get working had it the other way.

"Wire from "S" (solenoid) terminal of ignition switch to one of the small 3/8" nut terminals of the starter solenoid. Wire for the remaining 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid to the safety switch (switch is self grounding when activated). That's it."