1972-1989 PTT - aka the frankenpump project

RRitt

Captain
It lives! The Volvo based replacement for Calco project is done.

Volvo AQ290 trim pumps offer the best value per dollar in a complete pump assembly. The problem is mounting onto the EJ transom clamp and adapting the ports to fit existing EJ tubes/hoses.

Attached are pictures of the finished prototype. I am unable to find brass fittings in the Eaton catalog that go directly from volvo to evinrude. One option is to bend very short bit of CuNi brake tubing but the bend radius is underneath the stated minimum. This forced me to drill and tap the volvo ports with a tapered pipe thread and then use a kludge of adapters as shown. The finished ports end up being within 1/4" of the original location. It may not be as pretty as hoped for but it should fit and install without a lot of wasted time and effort. On this one I use JBweld. In the future high-pressure joint compound would be ideal.

The Volvo and the Evinrude use the exact same bolt pattern except that the volvo is two on bottom and evinrude is two on top. So I just drilled and tapped two rows of three. All six holes are threaded for 5/16".

Attachments

• Frankenpump01.jpg
    Frankenpump01.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Frankenpump02.jpg
    Frankenpump02.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Frankenpump03.jpg
    Frankenpump03.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972-1989 PTT - aka the frankenpump project

I'm not sure that I understand the pattern. The Calco and Prestolite pumps mount to the J/E PT&T rack with three screws in a triangular pattern.

Attachments

• trim%20pump.jpg
    trim%20pump.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tilttrim.jpg
    tilttrim.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0127.jpg
    DSCN0127.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0128.jpg
    DSCN0128.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0129.jpg
    DSCN0129.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0

RRitt

Captain

I'm not sure that I understand the pattern. The Calco and Prestolite pumps mount to the J/E PT&T rack with three screws in a triangular pattern.

The volvo is a prestolite product. IT uses the same pattern as the smaller EJ tilt pump. Which is the same as PTT except flipped.

how do you do those pictures?
that's what I'll do. I'll draw circles with captions on a photo and post it.

I am thinking my next revision might be to use a bigger bracket that shifts the volvo pump down. See how the volvo rides up about 1" higher than the Calco? If the bracket shifted it down then I wouldn't need as much brass.

Attachments

• Frankenpump04.jpg
    Frankenpump04.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Open your jpg with microsoft office picture manager, then right click the picture and choose edit. Crop the picture to size, correct the color and resize to less than 146.5 kb.

Select the paper clip icon above, browse to your picture and upload it to the thread.

haz77

Cadet
did this even work / get fitted - tried?

Also did you find the right fittings?

WHats required to connect the wiring?

Mike.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Haz - Neither of these members have been around in quite a while. Please don't reply to threads older than 90 days. It's best to start a new thread. Thanks.

Last edited: