Stuck driveshaft 1975 E/rude 6 HP.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Wrestled with the if it ain't broke don't fix it vs. 30+ year old impeller...HAS to be changed conundrum. Decided it was a no-brainer...:rolleyes:
So, has anybody else had a 1 hour job go south....:eek:

Took out 4 bolts and the lower unit dropped 1/4 inch....shifted to reverse and the LU moved enough to get at the shift linkage....loosened that off. (so far so good! :)) LU would not separate. Got a small piece of 2x4 and just tapped gently on the horizontal fin all around the LU.
Drive shaft came away from the power head after 2 or 3 "laps".

Am I in real trouble?

What scares me is that at the power head end of the D/S about 2" below the end of the splines is a cross pin...split at one end like a cotter pin....on the other end (other side of shaft) it appears that I sheared off whatever was there.
I have no idea what that pin does....how I managed to break it with the small amount of force I used....and wonder what other trick i should have used to get the drive shaft splines to separate from the LU.

Am I now going to have to separate the power head to be able to replace the driveshaft and that pin....I will need a new one?

The Power head end splines are pristine....still shiny steel....

The other question is how to get the DS out of the LU.
How much is reasonable force?

It is a freshwater only motor....while I have it this far apart I will be opening the gearcase to replace seals as there is some small influx of water between gearoil changes that new washers on drain screws did not solve, so this would be a good time.

Thanks for any advice....

P.S. sad part is the old impeller appears to be pristine....still the right decision though....;)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stuck driveshaft 1975 E/rude 6 HP.

You may or may not have broken something that will cause further difficulty. The way you should remove that is to take the sparkplugs out and slowly turn the flywheel so that the pin aligns with the slots in the exhaust housing and releases the driveshaft.

You need to completely remove the screw from the shift rod connector before returning the shift rod section to the coupler.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Stuck driveshaft 1975 E/rude 6 HP.

Should have gotten an OEM shop manual.