'70 Evinrude 40hp

OzkMtnRbl

Recruit
To begin, this site is a godsend. Now, I bought this '70 Evinrude 40hp a few days ago and after starting I determined the bottom cylinder had a weak, intermittent spark. So I took the points off, (they were junk), and tried the ones off my parts motor. Wishful thinking. I went and bought new points and a fuel pump kit. Gapped my points .20, rebuilt pump, replaced fuel lines, checked spark plugs, and did a general clean-up. The end result is that now I cant get it to run at all, (sputters, floods, and backfires). So I changed carbs with the same result. Then I pulled the coil from the cylinder that keeps fouling the plug, and it tests fine (1.1 on lo ohms, and no reading from either lead when grounded against coil field). I guess I'm at the point when I would benefit from some greater knowledge, so if anyone cares to take a shot? Oh, I havent cleaned the new point contacts yet, I just read on this site that ANYTHING on them could make a difference, so I'll go do that while I wait and hope someone can help me.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: '70 Evinrude 40hp

Hopefully it was a typo, but the gap is 0.020"
Make sure the flywheel is tightened down to 105 ft-lbs, or it will shear the flywheel key.

OzkMtnRbl

Recruit

Yes it was a typo. Im getting a decent visual spark but cant seem to figure out the OEM spark checker. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a timing component I'm missing, or if I ought to start concentrating on fuel. Im losing my perspective on this because I'm nearing the end of my limited skills. As I said, I can get a rough start out of it on full choke, but it floods horribly shortly thereafter, and killing the throttle and opening the choke just produces a backfire. If this was a car, I'd swear the timing was 180 degrees out.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The spark plug wires aren't reversed , are they? I've done that one a few times....