1959 Johnson V50 Outboard Bellcrak

rhayes2849

Cadet
Thanks to all for the past help. Well the motor runs great, but it keeps jumping out of gear. I think its the linkage. Can the bellcrank be replaced? If so how?

Thanks

I love the water.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Johnson V50 Outboard Bellcrak

How did you arrive at the diagnosis? Does it have slop and lost motion in the linkage?

OK, assuming you are right, be aware that worn out linkage will destroy the clutch dog and forward gear. Looking at it the other way, a worn out clutch dog and forward gear can destroy the linkage. So be prepared for the worst.

To replace the bellcrank indide the exhaust houosing:
Remove lower unit
Remove powerhead
Remove powerhead adapter
You can now access the bellcrank. If you need to get the shift shaft out, keep going and remove the lower mount bolts and take the exhaust housing out of the lower cover. Since you have come this far, you might as well pull the shift shaft out and replace the o-ring seal on it. Be sure to use a NEW lockplate on the bellcrank retaining screw. A drop of locktite wouldn't hurt too.

rhayes2849

Cadet
Re: 1959 Johnson V50 Outboard Bellcrak

Thanks,

I have a Tune-up and repair manual. The book told me to hold the shift rod with needle-nose pliers and shift into gear. Made an adjustment in the gear shift, will try out in the am.

I have been looking for bellcrank and parts. I can not find any. Also is there a parts listing or exploded view of this I can get.

Thanks

I love the water!