96 Johnson 112 SPL...To VRO or not to VRO

3charter

Recruit
Hey Boat fans-

I have a 1996 Johnson 112 SPL that has set idle for 3-4 years. Gonna try to get her running again. I know the carbs will probably need attention. I fogged the snot out of it before it basically sat.

My question is...now that I have the tank empty and am going to work on getting her going again, do I take this opportunity to disconnect the aftermarket VRO that the previous owner had installed. I kind of have my doubts about them personally.

Really want to hear your input on the subject, as well as any tips for getting the old girl back to running condition.

Thanks so much...your input is greatly appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 Johnson 112 SPL...To VRO or not to VRO

If this is truly an after market VRO (I know nothing about them) then the link provided means nothing, its for a stock unit.

After market...ditch it....stock OMC....its your choice, there's nothing bad about it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It's not aftermarket, and it's not a VRO, but OMS if it has an oil tank. Can you post a picture of what you have? Does it have any identifying numbers on it.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

VRO and OMS both have an oil tank, doubt it is an aftermarket system, fix it and use it, they are very reliable and your motor and wallet will thank you for it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

VRO and OMS both have an oil tank, doubt it is an aftermarket system, fix it and use it, they are very reliable and your motor and wallet will thank you for it.

That's beside the point, there are other pumps that are not oil mixing systems but no 1996 motor came with a VRO.

3charter

Recruit

I was specifically told by the previous owner that he had the VRO installed because he was tired of premixing. The unit is not a stock item and did not come with the boat/motor.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Understood and it's fine to call it a VRO. There is no reason to replace the pump as long as it works. If you want to run premix it's very simple to change the pump to premix at no cost to you. The VRO and OMS pumps are all much more powerful than any conventional lift pumps.