1975 Johnson 135 Hp, questions about everything.

Carter P.

Cadet
Hello I'm the new guy here. Just got a '75 Johnson 135 hanging on the back of a '87 Randall Craft V-160. It's my bosses boat and he wanted me to see if I could get it running for him. I know it needs a starter and possibly a trim motor, but on the other hand I have a lot of questions about this motor. The ID tag it torn off and been painted over, is there any other location to find the serial number and other important info on the motor?

What is the compression supposed to be for each cylinder?

How in the HECK do I wire up the trim motor? It's a 3 wire set-up, one black wire and two black with blue dots wires.

Where can I find a new ignition switch and key for my motor?

I also assume I will need carburetor rebuild kits, plugs and wires, maybe new coils, (coils were new 10 years ago haha but never used)

Does anybody here have wiring diagrams for different things like starter solenoids, trim solenoids, relays/fuses?

A little long but I just really need some help getting this motor running. Please and Thank You to anybody that can help me. I'm going to try and search for more stuff online right now...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Johnson 135 Hp, questions about everything.

What is the compression supposed to be for each cylinder?

Depends on the cylinder heads and condition of the rings and bores, but the readings should be within 10% of each other.

How in the HECK do I wire up the trim motor? It's a 3 wire set-up, one black wire and two black with blue dots wires.

The colors you give are not stock, however there is a common ground with one of the other wires used in each direction. Click the thumbnail.

Where can I find a new ignition switch and key for my motor?

The original switch was a five post switch, but you can use the more up-to-date 6 post push to choke. Any BRP authorized dealer or aftermarket from iboats.

I also assume I will need carburetor rebuild kits, plugs and wires, maybe new coils, (coils were new 10 years ago haha but never used)

If the ignition coils are cracked, swollen, discolored or if the potting is distorted, they should be replaced. All ground connections should be cleaned.

Does anybody here have wiring diagrams for different things like starter solenoids, trim solenoids, relays/fuses?

Factory service manuals have complete color wiring diagrams: http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.main

Parts catalogs are online here: http://shop.evinrude.com/

The engine identification should be found on a nickel-sized welch plug on the top of the port cylinder bank. It's under the rack that holds the ignition coils.

Attachments

• 3 Wire.JPG
    3 Wire.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 0

Carter P.

Cadet

Thank you guys very much. I just now got the carb's tore off and I am going through them, they look brand new still on the butterflies but haven't got all the parts apart yet. Thanks again, will be back later with some more news hopefully.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Don't take the butterflies apart or you might as well trash the carbs.

Carter P.

Cadet

Don't ake the butterflies apart or you might as well trash the carbs.

I know. This isn't my first rodeo... I have rebuilt many motors in cars and trucks, and just a few marine motors.