Johnson 150 Ocean runner problem

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice
Had boat out 4 times this past month and had no problems in idle or getting up on plane at WOT. The 5th time I took it out I cruised maybe 20 miles and headed back close to shore and shut off engine. One hour later I start it but shuts off when you engage gears it sputters spits and dies. I have this same problem even when the outboard is immersed in a 100 gallon test tank . It s smoking alot as well. So this is what I have done so far with no luck. rebuilt all six carbs with new bowls carb kit , replaced plugs, replaced power pack, replaced cleaned fuel vapor separator, primer valve,I get a blue spark cranking, bypassed boat gas tank with 6 gallon, bypassed vro checked compression 102-105 etc. With all this done to it It still does the same thing as it did originally. So now im starting to suspect either the optic sensor/timing wheel or the flywheel magnets coming loose.This engine which is a 60 degree looper carbed starts fine but misses and smokes alot so when you engage forward or reverse it boggs down and dies. I do not have a Peak reading meter to check for peak voltage but I did do a resistance test on the 2 stator circuits and they were very close to what the specs call for.I can't belive the tining could change on its own as i don't have the sync and link tool to set the timing. I forgot to mention I also cleaned the throttle bodies and tried 4 , 5 and 6 turns out from fully seated and it does not make any difference. :mad:Anybody have any ideas??

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson 150 Ocean runner problem

What yr and model number .

In the meantime,

put a timing light on each cyl wire and shine it on the timing wheel, watch for the correct cyl number to light up , check if its double firing too ( double flash) don't shine light at optical sensor. Best done out of direct sun.

What gap did you set the spark tester? Can't use a sparkplug to test spark.

After choking and cranking the starter do the plugs come out wet w/gas?

I'd suspect an air leak around the carbs due to the smoking, the oil side of the pump will cycle faster. Any alarms?

Are all the carb plates fully closed at idle?

I don't know of any special tool needed to link and sync.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Yes they do look wet like they are not getting spark all the time. Spark gap .030ql78yc plugs. I Very much doubt the carbs are at fault because it ran like a top prior and I never had any hesitation or lo / hi transition problems. The carb plates are closed the timing has not been disturbed (as of yet) a timing light will show each cylinder on the timing wheel at idle but my quick start is not always there and I replaced it with a new power pack and the outcome is the same. That is why Im thinking the problem has got to be somewhere on the top of the motor. It went from running good to running very bad instantly and not over a period of time. The tops of all the pistons look a normal dark color and there is no water droplets on the plugs . All temp/warm up sensor switchs are good. Something is affecting all the cylinders. Anyone ever pull the flywheel on these motors before without loosing a finger ? What would I need tool wise? 96 J150exedb

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The flywheel should have 5 bolts, so it will be easy to remove. I would inspect the wiring between the Quickstart sensor and the powerpack, to look for shorts.

Extra smoke means extra oil. This can be caused by an airleak in the gasoline side of the OMS system. Check the main strainer, gaskets and oring.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks chris1956, But I already done that. I hooked up my 6 gallon kicker motor tank right to the fuel side vro and also tried 50:1 premix on this tank with oil inlet disconnected on the vro and results are the same no change same smokey outcome and misfire and dies when put in gear just like when original boat tank is hooked up. I rebuilt/cleaned the vapor/separator with new seal and float kit from BRP. NO fuel leaks anywhere to be found on engine primer ball will get hard after you pump it like it always did. No fuel overflowing coming out of carbs. I thinking now that the extra smoke could be a result of magnets not in sync with rotor circuits up on top. Im not to sure if the optic sensor could cause this because I m thinking it either works or it does not work like a no start no run situation but my motor will start but idles poorly misses and spits out the back then shuts off sometimes even before you get a chance to put it in gear.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

JonesG I made sure that all spaghetti like gaskets replaced on throttle body and carbs are seating properly. I did spray a fair amount of wd40 oil all around the carb gasket area and noticed no change. I did however ground all spark plug leads while testing for spark and alternating the plug from 1 thru 6. I used a spark plug and noticed a nice blue arc when cranking the engine. All carb plates are closed at idle and no alarms prior but did a alarm test on all circuits and get a light on dash and a horn + light when engine running. I did not check the recirculation system check valves while I had it opened (like a dummy) but would a block valve cause so much problems? I mean there are maybe more than 6 im thinking??? But im suspecting ignition. I need to get my hands on a sync/link tool and a PR meter or adapter for my fluke.

jonesg

Admiral

A sparkplug cannot be used to conduct the spark test.
Auto stores sell adjustable gap spark testers for under $15, set the gap to 7/16th inch.
I think you'll find no spark.

THE-404.jpg

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

I will get one of these and retest. I did not know you can't use a spark plug for arc test. I thought that since Im seeing each and every spark plug wire read on the timing wheel (tdc,2,3,4,5&6)via strobe light that spark would be good. This is why I did not pursue the tool.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

How about checking the primer? Maybe it is stuck open, and choking the engine?

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I got back from vacation and got to work on the outboard. I picked up a spark gap tester and set it to 7/16. On the odd cylinders nice blue thick arc. On the even cylinders Nada. But if I adjust the gap to to what the spark plugs are gapped at .030 it produces a weak spark (arc)on the tester. So I stumbled on to the problem. Weak Ignition on the even numbered cylinders. I already replaced the power pack 2 weeks ago and it did not make a difference.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

let me know what you find, my engine did the same thing or similar and I need to troubleshoot a bit more...

Thanks

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Right now im trying to find where the shift switch single wire black/yellow harness is located. I did not see it by the motor so will post back when I check on the boat harness side and test it. I need to test this before I tear into the flywheel.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Here is what I have found out so far. The shift switch is located on the starboard side at the engine right on top where the shift cables enter to the engine. I unplugged the 1 pin connector and metered it out by pushing down on the switch to activate it manually and I get an open and closed reading. So my switch is good but I constantly get a open reading when moving the boats shifter handle anywhere from full forward to full reverse. Probobly needs adjusting or something wore down. I go on to the second step of the test where its called Blocking Diode test. Now there I get a open reading on diode setting on meter or resistance setting on meter with both leads swapped from pin to pin. One meter lead on the blk/ylw(shift switch) 1 pin conn and the other lead to engine harness blk/ylw multi-pin conn at the motor. Anybody know where this blocking diode is located?

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Well I have found the diode in the harness and it is good and so is the wiring as far as I can tell. Im going to try to get a adapter for my meter for the stator output test but if not I will take it apart and post back.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

I did a stator/charge coil cranking test with the 6 pin packard connector disconnected from the power pack and the yellow leads connector to the regulator/rectifier also disconnected here is what I got reading wise using a Cat -III Digital fluke voltmeter without the PVA set on ac: with the negative lead of the meter attached to the engine ground and going on all 6 pins one by one I get a reading of 12 to 20 volts across all six pins when cranking engine over. Im thinking maybe the stator is shot? I believe the manual states their should be no voltage readings to ground but don't know 100% since im waiting on the PVA adapter to arrive.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Still waiting for the PVA adapter to arrive but nevertheless this what my $500 dollar fluke meter is reading pin to pin right off the stator harness with engine cranking. charge coil for 1,3,5 = 170vpeak, charge coil for 2,4,6= 170vpeak, power coil=59vpeak.

jonesg

Admiral

OK so you have ignition failure on one bank, this can possibly be SLOW kicking in,

disconnect the port temp sensor wire and see if spark returns to all cyl's.
If yes the temp sensor is shot. If it senses an overheat it shuts down one bank. Go for the cheaper fix first.:)

All the voltages you are quoting don't mean anything, we don't know what yr or model number we're talking about here.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Its a 1996 Johnson ocean runner 150hp 60deg OIS2000. J150EXEDB. I checked both temp and warm up switch they are ok. Diode in harness ok shift switch ok etc.... I checked every thing You could think of. New power pack new Electric Eye and the funny thing is sometimes you get a spark on the port side (any 3 cylinders 2,4,&6)and crank it again and you get nothing on all 3 of those. Starboard side you see a constant blue spark no matter what. With the old original Power pack there was no quick start and it was coughing on the port side like now. With the new pack I get quick start working again but the coughing is still there on the port side. I can't believe the new pack is bad?? Once I get the PVA adapter I will do the static and dynamic tests and after that im gonna rip that flywheel right off.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Forgot to mention that It starts coughing on the port side immediately on start-up with flush muffs or in a 100Gallon test tank. Get a nice billow of blue smoke with that cough coming thru the port side exhaust relief. Does not spit back or cough at the front of the carbs.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am watching this closely as my 95 150 has same symptoms. ran fine till stopped for hot dogs, then all things you said, bog smoke, but mine will run upper rpm if i get started. how do we check primer?