Problem with my 175 hp 1995 Evinrude

buzzycline

Recruit
I have a problem with my outboard motor on my bass boat. Every time the engine gets hot, it will not let me give it gas. It cuts off and if I let it idle it idles really rough but only when it is hot. Before the engine gets hot, it runs like it is brand new! Two different people have checked the compression on it and they can't believe the compression is still that good on a motor that is 15 years old. I have replaced the following: powerpack, 3 new coils, 6 new plug wires, 6 new plugs, new VRO pump, all 6 carbs rebuilt, optical Ignitions Censor, Plastic Timing Cover has been inspected for cracks twice, also has new stater and a newly rebuilt vapor chamber. New check valve on gas tank and the gas tank and lines have been completely cleaned out. Any ideas?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Problem with my 175 hp 1995 Evinrude

you have replace everything, except what cools the motor. rebuild the water pump, replace the thermostats, and flush the cooling system.

the dang thing is running hot, if you don't do it, one day it will seize into one big mass of useless metal