1955 Evinrude 15 hp shifter problem

c.mullins1

Recruit
I have a 1955 15 hp fastwin. It runs great, with no prblems at low speed however when you give it fuel to pick up speed it acts like its trying to kick out of gear approx. every 5 seconds. Any suggestions. Thanks.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1955 Evinrude 15 hp shifter problem

Hi and welcome to the forum! By kicking out of gear, do you mean it thumps liek you're hitting a log? If so, the motor probably has a worn clutch dog/forward gear in the lower unit. It could also be play in the shift linkage. Remove the oval cover on the side of the leg and check the coupler where the upper and lower shift rods connect. Are the bolts in place and tight? Check for any play by holding the shift lever in forward gear and using a long-nosed pliers on the shift rod to check for play.

c.mullins1

Recruit

You descibed it exactly (hitting a log)! I will check into it. Thanks!

Glenn Romain

Cadet

I have the same motor and the same problem .Was able to pick up a used Clutchdog on ebay for $ 20 plus shipping but have yet to install it found out later that a bolt on my shift rod connector was striped and just maybe it could have been giving me the worn clutch dog symptom . Maybe i will get a chance to put it together this weekend. I just finished doing a paint job on it with new decals and i must say its looking pretty dang good . Oh and i was talking with a old outboard mecanic and he told me that he has repaired quite a few clutchdogs by building the wear spots with a mig welder and reshaping with a good filling , he also says that 99.9% of them are still working fine. It could be a good way to go if you have a hard time locating a new or nearly new used part.

c.mullins1

Recruit

Thanks for the insight! Hopefully I'll be able to get into it this weekend. It's amazing how well a 55 year old motor can perform. Too good not to repair. Thanks again!

Glenn Romain

Cadet

c.mullins1 Did you have time to look at your motor yet , if so can you tell us what you found .

c.mullins1

Recruit

Not yet but I will let you know when I do. Thanks.