9.9 evinrude shifter problem

Frank Culler

Recruit
I have a 1988 9.9 evinrude that will not shift into reverse. It will shift into foward and neutral fine. It will shift into reverse if I push back on the stater where the plastic piece on the shift rod touches it. It seems that the stater is not going back far enough when I put the throttle in the shift position. Is there an adjustment any where for this. I do not know alot about these motors so any help will be wonderful.

JTROCKS1

Cadet
Re: 9.9 evinrude shifter problem

Has the lower unit been off recently i.e. impeller replacement. If so the shift rod may not be all the way into the connector. I had a similar issue and that's all it was.

Frank Culler

Recruit

No the LU has not been off. It was working fine until the last time I had it out. The only work done recently on it was cleaning the carb (I didnt do it, a mechanic did) and changing the LU fluid. When I last had it out, it worked when I launched the boat but while on the water I needed to use reverse and it wouldnt go in.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Look at the lockout when you try and shift it into reverse, it should rotate to allow the plastic notch to go to the on indent on the timing plate in the pic. You can disconnect the plug wires and rotate the prop by hand while trying to shift into reverse, observe the lockout to see if it's moving with the shift handle, the plastic lockout could be broken, they break at the bottom where the white round piece is.

lockout.jpg

Frank Culler

Recruit

I beleive that the plastic lockout is worn down on one side. When shifting to reverse, the lockout pushes against a brass colored metal peice that I believe is the stater. From years of pushing against it, it now has a worn spot on one side and I dont think it has enough pressure to push the stater back to allow it to shift into reverse. Can I use something like JB weld to build it back out again or do I need to replace the whole peice?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Post a pic of what you are talking about, you are saying that the plate is wore??? Never heard of that one but if it is I have a spare.