1967 johnson 6

devin.jm

Cadet
hello everyone, im new to this site. like i literally just registered 5 minutes ago. i know nothing about outboards so be easy on me haha.

i have a 1967 johnson 6hp. it spits and sputters and i have to constantly play with the choke to keep it from dying on me. from what i've heard, i need to clean out my carburater. is this correct? if so, how do i do this?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1967 johnson 6

Yep it sounds like the carb is in need of a clean but check adjustment, see below first.

Remove, carefully dismantle, sketch or photograph where everything goes, don't lose any parts, and clean all passages and jets. Best rebuilt with a carb kit if you can get one. Sierra 18-7043 I think but check!

See various items that may be useful in the engine FAQS board http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31 Esp Joe Reeves' item on adjusting carb needles ..

devin.jm

Cadet

well i just went out to take a look at the carb..... whoo! i am not looking forward to this little task

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The hardest part will be the pull starter. its in the way of one of the bolts.
you have to remove that to remove the carb. a total nightmare.

devin.jm

Cadet

i ordered the rebuild kit and im going to clean it and reassemble it. ill also change out my spark plugs. they are pretty black. ill let you all know how it goes

keller346

Cadet

I have a 1972 that was doing the same thing. I had the carb rebuilt by the dealer and it still did it... make sure you check the jets to make sure they are not clogged because they did not check that and that was my first issue...lol

devin.jm

Cadet

well i cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor. i put it back on the motor and reassembled everything today. now it wont start worth a flip and when it does, it dies after 5 seconds. literally 5 seconds.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you pumping the primer until its nice and firm?
Could be the fuel pump. try squirting some premix into the carb and see if she'll fire.

also, have you had the lower unit off at all?
check compression?
Spark?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

well i just went out to take a look at the carb..... whoo! i am not looking forward to this little task

I think you will find the machinist link concerning the 6hp very informative, especially regarding the carb job and manipulating the starter.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC_6hp.htm

It say 1968 to 1979, but your motor is the same.

Good luck and enjoy her...they are great dependable motors.

cajuncook1