1998 Johnson 35hp Harness Wiring

ayaresr

Seaman Apprentice
Working on wiring up a 1998 Johnson 35hp outboard. Model number is J35KLECA. It has 3 plugs, #1 is 6 pin, #2 is 6 pin, #3 is 3 pin. I'm looking for the pinout of what needs to go where in regards to keyswitch, gauges, etc. Some I believe I have figured out, such as starter trigger, switched 12 volt, while others have me stumped. From one of the 6 pin plugs, I see 3 tan wires, not really sure their use, or why multiple of the same color. If anyone could break down or point me in the direction of a wiring diagram for this model, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Ryan

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 Johnson 35hp Harness Wiring

you need a 1998 control harness. or adapter to the old harness.

ayaresr

Seaman Apprentice

Was looking at possibly purchasing a harness extension, taking off the console side of that, and wiring it from there. We have aftermarket controls, so I won't be able to just plug and play if I am thinking about this right. My understanding is that with factory controls the harness would plug into the controls directly, without the need to figure out the pinouts. Am I correct in this thinking, or do I need to look at going about it another way?
Ryan

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1996 and newer, OEM (factory) harness will plug and play.

ayaresr

Seaman Apprentice

With that factory harness, I guess what I am wondering, does the console end go to bare wire, and if so, are they labeled or would it come with the paperwork to ID what is what for hookup to the keyswitch and other components?
Thanks again, Ryan