Faria tach setting on 1967 60hp Johnson

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
My eyes are going blind from searching for this answer. What tach setting should I use? I have a Faria tach that I took off my other merc powered boat. It is a 7000rpm tach with 6 settings that are
Poles - Setting
4 - 1
6 - 2
8 - 3
10 - 4
12 - 5

and it has a #6 which it does not say what that is for, nor does the Faria manual online. My tach signal wire comes off the coil.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Faria tach setting on 1967 60hp Johnson

According to Faria installation guide on their site you need to connect to the non-rectified side of your alternator for the tach sense wire and set the gauge to the number of poles in your alternator. The tach wire from the coil is not used.

-- Jeff

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

So according to my searches I can hook the tach signal wire to either yellow wire from the rectifier (3 wire rectifier, 2 yellow, 1 green). Does anyone know what the #6 setting on the faria tach is for?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I do know that the tach stops working when put on 6. :redface: I wonder if it was for the 20 pole setting they no longer offer.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Success!! Removed the tach wire from the coil and spliced into the yellow wire on the rectifier and set the tach to 12 pole. Still curious about #6 though. I'll try and call them tommorow.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you got it worked out. Also, so glad I wasted my time trying to help you out since you just ignored my posts. Won't happen again as adding you to my ignore list.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I did exactly as you told me to do so I don't understand how I ignored your post. Since I did not know which side was non-rectified I searched and found that if there is 2 yellow wires that it did not matter ( as per one of Joe Reeve's posts) which one it is hooked to. Sorry that I did not give you credit for the help it was not intentional.

Also for anyone that is interested the #6 setting is for diesel tachs according to Faria.