how do I test the tilt trim sensor on my evinrude 140(pics included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastorowc

Cadet
just bought a brand new tilt trim gauge and tested it to make sure it worked and it did. It still does not work. It is always in the down position and does not move at all. I have checked the ground and it seemed to be fine. I now am wanting to test the trim sensor. i have located it on the motor and just need some advice on how to test it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how do I test the tilt trim sensor on my evinrude 140

Re: how do I test the tilt trim sensor on my evinrude 140

There are 3 wires on the trim sensor and a ground strap.
Locate the 3 pin connector under the engine hood towards the front (transom) side of the motor. The connector is triangular.
The connector should have the white/tan wire from the sensor as 2 other wires.

Make sure the ignition key is off.
Connect an Ohm meter between the white/tan (terminal C of the 3 pin connector) and ground
With the engine in the full downward position the reading should be 80 ohms.
In full up it should be 10 ohms.

You should be able to see the sensor and the plastic arm attached to the potentiometer shaft. Move the plastic arm up an down and look for the ohm value to move from high to low etc.

Also check your voltage at the gauge. With the ignition on there should be voltage between the purple and black wires on the back of the gauge.

New sensor will run just shy of $100. I was able to get a new one on eBay for $60 with shipping.

pastorowc

Cadet
Re: how do I test the tilt trim sensor on my evinrude 140(pics included)

I took some pics in hopes that somebody can assist me further. There are a total of 4 wires. 2 (both black)that connect to the sending unit and 2 (green and blue) that are connected to the trim solenoid. I appreciate any help.
Thanks

Attachments

• pic of wires.jpg
    pic of wires.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 26
  • trim sending unit.jpg
    trim sending unit.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 23
  • wires from sender and solenoid.jpg
    wires from sender and solenoid.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: how do I test the tilt trim sensor on my evinrude 140(pics included)

I took some pics in hopes that somebody can assist me further. There are a total of 4 wires. 2 (both black)that connect to the sending unit and 2 (green and blue) that are connected to the trim solenoid. I appreciate any help.
Thanks

Did you manage to fix your trim/tilt gauge? If so can you tell me how you fixed it?

I am in the same position your in with my gauge not working I just installed a new gauge yesterday and it still is not working,the only difference between you and me is my outboard is a 1989 70hp Evinrude VRO,I have tried testing the power at the gauge and everything look ok using a meter,now I have to figure out how to test the wires at the motor to see if it is a issue at that end..I really do not use the trim/tilt gauge as I usually just turn around and look to see the position of my outboard but since there is a trim/tilt gauge on my boat I would like to have it working..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you manage to fix your trim/tilt gauge? If so can you tell me how you fixed it?

I am in the same position your in with my gauge not working I just installed a new gauge yesterday and it still is not working,the only difference between you and me is my outboard is a 1989 70hp Evinrude VRO,I have tried testing the power at the gauge and everything look ok using a meter,now I have to figure out how to test the wires at the motor to see if it is a issue at that end..I really do not use the trim/tilt gauge as I usually just turn around and look to see the position of my outboard but since there is a trim/tilt gauge on my boat I would like to have it working..

DarthVader

Please start a new thread. This one is quite old and as usual, the OP longer visits.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.