1977 johnson 70hp (70773) Water leak at powerhead?

ecardona10

Recruit
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and looking for some help. New to me is the motor mentioned above. When running it with the muffs I noticed a 1 to 2 droplet water leak at the back of the motor near what looks like the temp sending unit (tan wire). Taking a small screwdriver I began to scratch the surface in order to remove some flaking black paint and corrosion to better locate the origin place of the leak. Well this made the hole bigger until I discovered a hole about 3/16 in size that must have been covered by a thin layer of metal? Now when I start the motor with the muffs, water shoots out of this hole like a water gun! Is this hole supposed to be here but plugged up? It doesn't seem to be corrosion as the hole seems to be there for some purpose. (please note that I do have a **** tube coming out of the bottom port side and has a good stream)
I am at a complete loss and without a manual I have no idea what is going on. I am fairly capable with a wrench, but outboard motors are new to me.
I can take some pics, if it would help someone solve this for me, please instruct how to post.
Would anyone have a service manual in PDF format they would like to share with me? Just wondering.
Anyway, I thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Respectfully
Edwin C.

Striperhunter

Recruit
Re: 1977 johnson 70hp (70773) Water leak at powerhead?

I have the same motor which I happen to be looking at now. I do nothave a hole at the location you were talking about. Perhapps if.you.post a picture we can help you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 johnson 70hp (70773) Water leak at powerhead?

This post is over two yrs old. Please start a new one. Read the rules at the top of the forum.