1959 Evinrude Jubilee oil mixture ratio?

otterville

Recruit
I just purchased a 1959 Evinrude Fastwin Jubilee from a boat shop. Rebuilt carb, new impeller, fuel pump (to eliminate dual lines).Fresh oil in lower unit.My question is what is the oil/gas mix ratio? The mechanic told me 50:1 and It wont stay running and smokes like a chimmney and plugs were pretty oily when I pulled them. I can keep it running if I hit the primer bulb when it starts to die out but that dont last long so I shortend the fuel line with the recommendation of the mechanic from approx. 6' to about 3' still dies. I noticed on the other forums the ratio for this model should be 24:1. Would it have changed with the fuel pump change.I also noticed the manuals for sale through this site are they worth the money?

Last edited:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1959 Evinrude Jubilee oil mixture ratio?

It was originally 24:1. If you think it smokes now, wait till you double the oil! If you use fully synthetic (that's what I use) you will get better lube and less smoke and it's better for the environment.

When you say primer bulb, you mean the bulb on the single line fuel line, right? If you need to pump it to keep it going it means that you are doing the work of the fuel pump and the fuel pump is not pumping so I'd investigate that area. How did you install it? Did you get a newer bypass cover and pump and bolt it on?

And no, changing it to fuel pump does not change it's oil requirements. All engines up to 1964 were 24:1, 50:1 after 1964.

otterville

Recruit

Yeah I did mean the primer bulb on the gas line. I am enclosing a picture that shows what I believe is the fuel pump. The items that were replaced were done by the boat mechanic where I bought it.

Attachments

• Kendra Shower 225.jpg
    Kendra Shower 225.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes that is the filter and fuel pump, but I think a modern type not what was fitted originally.
Not sure but it may have originally had a twin line pressurised fuel tank.