Johnson Newbie with some ???

merrtpa

Cadet
Good afternoon! I recently purchased a 1996 Proline 20' WAC with a 1996 Johnson 150 Oceanrunner (J150EXEDB). Reading through the forums helped me decide on this motor as it has a great reputation. I have been doing my own mechanical work on everything I own forever, but have been limited to Mercury when it comes to outboards. This motor is a little different and I want to make sure I understand it's function before I work on it. The idle is rough and "sneezes".

I have read conflicting information on the carb adjustment. Some say the low speed adjustment controls the fuel (as in most engines) and some say it controls the air. If the latter is true, as I understand it, then opening the needle will lean the mixture and closing it will make it richer? I do have an oem manual, which brings up another question. I ordered it for a 1996 although it says copyrighted in 1995. Is this normal? On the page where it lists the models covered it lists a J150EXED. Is this the same as my EXEDB? The manual says to start with 5 turns out and loosen the needle counterclockwise to rich the mixture. this would make it a fuel adjustment and not a air adjustment. But then again, it also shows the adjustment needle as a slot head and mine are allen heads.

So with all of this said, I guess it comes down to these questions:

Is this a fuel or air adjustment?
Is this the correct manual?
Is the manual accurate?
And, what other suggestions do you have to smooth out the idle?

Sorry this was so long. Thanks in advance for your input.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Newbie with some ???

Like cars, the model year is introduced in the calendar year prior to the model year. The manuals are copyrighted in the calendar year.

The trailing letter on your model number denotes a factory run or change within the model year.

Attachments

• omc_1980_1998.JPG
    omc_1980_1998.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 0

merrtpa

Cadet

Thank you ezeke! That takes care of the manual questions :D

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Follow the "Synchronization and Linkage Adjustments" in section one of your service manual.

Turning the idle adjustment counterclockwise increases the fuel in the fuel/air mix.

merrtpa

Cadet

Hopefully that'll handle the rest. Will try to work on it tomorrow. Thank you!