1980 Jonhson 9.9 slipping

PickerelSlayer

Recruit
I noticed oil leaking from the foot and decided to ignore due to a fishing trip.

It lasted about 4 hours and then it started to slip in forward. The oil in the foot was new and within that 4 hours it was full of water.

So I changed the seals and the leak stop, So I figured I was change the oil in the foot and it should run fine.

When I took it out for a test ride, - It still trolls forward and reverse, but when I give it more throttle it just sounds like its winding in Neutral,, but it stills trolls slow in Forward and Reverse.

Can anyone distinguish my problem. Im guessing it has something to do in the foot?

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 Jonhson 9.9 slipping

sounds like your prop hub is slipping. Replace prop or replace hub would be the fix. You can test it by marking the propeller and going for a spin, and seeing if the marks don't line up. Of course, if you have an extra prop, throw it on and see if it fixes the problem.

PickerelSlayer

Recruit
Re: 1980 Jonhson 9.9 slipping

ok sounds good,,, how exactly do I mark the propeller??Mark the assembly inside the prop. and see if it turns?

Also I know the cause of this problem is water getting into the foot, because it ran fine until water got in there... Once I fixed the two seals and top it off with oil I thought it would fix it.