Johnson Controls Question

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
What does the tension knob adjust? I ask because my warm-up lever has become really sloppy. I have about an inch of play before the warm-up lever has any effect. Will the tension knob adjust the warm-up lever issue or just the main throttle cable going into the control box? I have a manual that contains a parts diagram, but I can't tell how the tension knob works. I was thinking about tearing the entire control box open this weekend to see if there is something I can adjust from the inside to get rid of the slop in the warm-up lever.

The motor is a 1978 Johnson 140 hp with original controls.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Controls Question

The tension knob it to increase/decrease the friction to make it easier/harder to move the main throttle lever. That is so you can set it to "stay put" when you take your hand off of it.

Considerable slop or delay in the warm-up lever is not all that unusual. Just normal slack in the cable as it goes from push to pull mode will do that. In fact, even a brand new control and cable will have some delay.

So the question becomes is this something beyond normal? How long have you had the boat? Of course it is possible that something is loose or worn out in the control, so it is hard to say from a distance.

EDIT: There is a plastic "trunnion cap", part number 319821, that goes on the cable before sliding it into the control box. If that were missing, it would indeed be sloppy. But there is no way it can get out of there once installed, so it would have been a problem ever since the origninal installation.