60hp Johnson

I have a 60 hp Johnson that is yr84.It starts first time but I run it for a while it wont start I have to unplug the cannon plug and jump the sylenoid to get it to start and it runs fine.Have no clue whats going on.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 60hp Johnson

Possibly the ignition switch is defective. Next time it won't start, disconnect the kill wire (Black with a yellow stripe) from the powerpack. Then see if it starts. You will have to use the choke to kill it if it does start...

I thought of the inginition switch so put new and then I thought the buzzer in the box there was bad so replaced it then I bypassed the kill switch.When i bypassed the kill switch I could now plug in the cannon plug and use key to shut down.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Let me back up a minute. When you bypass the kill switch, will it start every time with the cannon plug attached?

Afew times butthen woudnt start.So I opened up the controlled and replaced the switch the horn becouse thought it might be grounding.had to becouse when i gettit started and try to plug cannon plug in would kill the notor.

ok let me start from the beging.I place my 60 on a 18 ft Hanynie and ran it a bout 2 times.Well went to launch it one day and had a fuel leak so repaired a leaking hose.I went to test start it an it started first time and ran it for little while shut it off went to start it again and it wouldnt fire would turned over fine.So I messed around and unplugged the cannon plug and jumped the sylinoid and it started but when I plugged the cannon plug in it would die again>So I thought the kill switch is grounding out and went in and cut the wires on the kill switch.Well still the same but now when I stat it jumping the sylinoind I can plug the cannon plug back in and it will run and can shut it off with the key.If the motor cools down for a hour or 2 it will start up on it own not unplugging the cannon plug and jumping the sylinoid.I dont have the money to have it put in the shop so any ideas on this will be greatly aprreciated.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I am not sure, sounds a little complicated, with out having the motor here where I could troubleshoot it would be hard to figure out. Best I can tell you is make sure you do not have a short somewhere, you can figure that out by doing some OHM test. other than that I have no idea whats going on.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

If the motor cools down for a hour or 2 it will start up on it own not unplugging the cannon plug and jumping the sylinoid

What if its warm???
Still sounds like a problem in the control box,maybe the kill wire is crushed or somehow getting grounded? are you sure all connections at the switch are tite and not touching eachother or ground,try disconnecting the kill circut at the powerpack,its the black with wh stripe.it will allow to run but wont shut off.If it allows good running ,you somehow getting ground to the kill.Make sure the cannonplug has no corrosion,corrosion carries voltage ,as minimal it is ,it will screw ya up.

Thank yall will try to go back and look inside the control box.I tried to shrink wrap the wires from the kill switch but maybe didnt do good enough job let me know if I can do anything for you all.I know I am probably going to be getting a 115 johnson for 300$ from a buddy so may be selling this one for the same price just to pass on the good deal.