85 hp 1978 Evinrude Shift Linkage Adjustment

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice
I have an old 1978 85 hp Evinrude outboard. Recently bought the boat and after cleaning the carbs (they were completely frozen) it started right up, and sounds great. The only thing I can't figure out, is how to adjust the shift linkage. Anyone have any ideas?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 hp 1978 Evinrude Shift Linkage Adjustment

To start with, the shift rod has to be set to the correct length, which is: 1978 - V-4 model in neutral (L) 21-53/64? or, (XL) model in neutral 26-53/64?.

This is measured from the mating surface of the gearcase to the center of the hole at the top of the shift rod.

Once you have the shift rod set to the correct length, do this:

Take the spark plugs out, put the control in neutral and disconnect the shift cable at the engine;

Manually shift the motor into reverse and turn the flywheel clockwise to confirm reverse at the propeller;

Manually shift the motor into forward and confirm forward by turning the flywheel clockwise and observing clockwise movement of the propeller;

Manually return the gearcase to neutral and confirm by turning the flywheel clockwise while observing that the propeller is not turning;

With the gearcase in neutral and the shift cable still disconnected, move the remote control arm fully forward and back to neutral;

Using only the trunnion knob, adjust the cable until it will reconnect at the engine with no further movement of the the shift lever on the engine.

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice

First of all, how do you adjust the rods to the correct length? And what exactly are you measuring?

Also, I think the adjustment needs to be made in the control also because the shift lever will not lock into neutral or go into reverse. It just stops dead in its tracks. Also, after removing the control cover I noticed when I moved the lever forward, the shift rod in the box would move for half the way from neutral to forward, but not for the other half. (If that makes sense) Also you can see the rod stop when you try to go into reverse.

- Also, I'm kinda new to all this stuff so try and dumb it down a little bit! Thanks :D

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK, you need to do a very simple test first, remove the control cable from the gear shift at the motor end (do not fool about with the control box yet) manually select gears (while slowly turning the prop with your foot, or a helper) move to forward and reverse to ensure gearbox is actually working, I think you are getting confused in the control box by the gear and throttle cables that work off the same lever, but move at different times. If the gears shift via the lever on the motor (and my guess is they will) continue with the adjustment as described before.