Lower unit re-assembly question

raywm3

Cadet
Hi Guys. I'm replacing the impeller on my 1969 Johnson 25 HP. This is a very basic unit, but I'm unsure about a couple of details.

1) There's no gasket, but are you supposed to put some sort of gasket sealer/maker between lower unit and upper unit when reassembling? (There's 2 capscrews on each side and a main, longer capscrew going down from the top)

2) Are you supposed to put any sealer on the metal (chrome colored) plate under the water pump housing? (the plate the impeller sits on)- Also, does the pump housing get sealed at all too? There are no gaskets for these components, but I didn't know if you are supposed to seal them.

Thanks!!

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lower unit re-assembly question

Try looking in the top secret post at the top. Good post with pics on replacement of impeller. I don't believe your supposed to seal the plate, service manual said that anyways. Mentioned using sealant on the housing.

raywm3

Cadet
Re: Lower unit re-assembly question

The "Top Secret" thread shows a different setup than mine. My water pump housing does NOT use a gasket. I have the manual and it does not say anything about it. That's why I wondered if you're suppose to use a sealant or not.

From what I can see, my housing simply screws down over the impeller and onto the chrome plate.