Shift rod screw problems

skuntor

Cadet
I have a 1964 speedtwin that I got for free. I rebuild the carb and fuel pump and I idled nice in a tank. I want to chance the impeller but I can't get the screw that holds the shift linkage inside the lower unit. The shift rod is rotated so the screw head is pointing the rear of the unit and I can't get a screw driver in it. I have tried shifting and, as expected, it only moves the rod up and down. I have had the gear case apart to clean and couldn't get the shift rod to rotate with that off either. Not sure what else to try.
I have just started tinkering with these old motors but I am trying to figure it out as I go.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Shift rod screw problems

It didn't get assembled that way, so the only thing that could have happened is the connector rotated around. Grab it with a pair of pliers and rotate it back so you can get a screwdriver on it...

skuntor

Cadet

Tried that but the inspection hole is pretty small!. Can I take the entire rod off by disconnecting at the powerhead if I can't twist it?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, you can pull the powerhead to undo the shift rod up there. Not sure you can pull it all the way through, though, but you might be able to get it down far enough to get to the bolt on the connector...

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

OMC put a lot of thought into developing a stainless steel screw that would self strip on removal from a brass connector. Even looking closely, you can't tell how they did it.

a70eliminator

Captain

That little connector block spins pretty easily, you pretty much have to use a 5/16 socket on a 6" extention 1/4". I have used a long skinny screwdriver to hold the connector from spinning while I carefully get the socket onto the screw, the screw has to come completely out just loose won't work, you'll see why when you get it apart.
That block will spin easily you just have to tap and jab at it with a skinny screwdriver, there's no good way to grab it just have to keep munipulating it till you can get the screw around to the side. Instead of a screwdriver try a coat hanger wire with a 90 bend on the end and try and hook the connector in the side and spin it around.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

not sure if I'm understanding, but can't you just grab it with a small needle nose pliers and turn it?

a70eliminator

Captain

If you can find a needle nose plier with enough reach you still can't turn anything because your working through an opening only about and inch wide.