Fuel on Oil side of VRO???

Robreefer

Cadet
I have an 88 OMC 3.0L that I have been having a VRO issue with. When I bought the boat last month, the motor had just been rebuilt and only had 8 hours on it. Since I have had the boat I have been getting random VRO alarms. I have done a lot of searching and reading and realized that every one has been very adamant about using the proper clamps on the lines. So I ordered the proper clamps and was installing them. When I got to the engine compartment, I took the line off of the oil side, and fuel started to drip out. This VRO is brand new, they replaced it when they rebuilt the engine. Could it be defective? From all the diagrams I have been looking at, it doesn't seem like fuel should even be able to get into the oil side. If any one has any advice, please it would be much appreciated.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel on Oil side of VRO???

If you suspect a problem with the VRO, add oil to the gas until you're absolutely sure it's resolved. Then take it back to where the pump was installed.

Robreefer

Cadet

Unfortunatly I cant get in touch with the previous owner. I have been running 50:1 fuel till I get this sorted out.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

That's a real problem, since the oil side is not serviceable and it appears fuel is leaking thru.

Robreefer

Cadet

It is a 4 wire VRO. The 2 sides of the VRO are bolted together. Would this be considered a VRO2?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

VRO was only available for several years, beginning in '85, so it's probably a VRO2 pump.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I would strongley recommed you keep using 50:1 in your gas mix until problem is resolved. It sounds like a defective OMS problem to me. NO fuel should be in the oil line what so ever. You can always disconnect the oil side of the oms, keep mixing 50:1 in gas and use the oms for a fuel pump only. This may save your power head.

SparkieBoat

Captain

google vro rebuild kit. you can rebuild the fuel side and plug oil inlet and continue to premix.