1969 (?) Evinrude 6 horse, no start, couple of ?'s

jeepwm69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I inherited what I think is a 1969 Evinrude 6 horse outboard. When I got it the motor wouldn't run, so I took it to the local outdoors shop (which has since closed) and they charged me $35 and it ran like a top when I got it back. I last ran it in late Feb when I picked it up from the duck club, and last weekend couldn't get it to start. I HAVE seen the FAQ on motors not starting, but have a couple of questions

Is there an OEM manual available for this motor and if so, where? If there is no FSM available, are the generic manuals offered here sufficient?

When I pump the bulb, gas flows out of a hole on the front of the carb. Is that hole supposed to be open or ?. The plugs do not appear to be getting wet, so doesn't look like gas is getting to the cylinders. Stuck float possibly? Anyone have a link to a carb rebuild post with pics on a similar carb? I've rebuild some Jeep carbs, but never tried small engine carbs.

After running the engine for a few min, it seems to get slower. From what I've read here that would probably be coils going bad. I'm sure these are probably the original coils. Is there any way to test them or does one just replace?

Anyone have a link with pics showing water pump impeller replacement? Mine spits water out of the back, but not a great stream, and for peace of mind I feel like I outta replace it.

Lastly, while I'm fooling with this thing, I know I'm not supposed to run it out of the water, so where is the water pump intake? There are a few small holes on one side of the foot right above the prop. Is that the intake? I know I need to submerge the water intake to keep from ruining the impeller.

Thanks for any input anyone might have.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1969 (?) Evinrude 6 horse, no start, couple of ?'s

Welcome to iboats!

Yes...the Ebay item is the RIGHT one . It will show you how to do the necessary repairs.

Your carb is your initial problem. The high speed circuit is still somewhat working, low speed circuit is clogged. Remove carb and go thru the process of cleaning, completely. Just follow the manual.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I inherited what I think is a 1969 Evinrude 6 horse outboard. When I got it the motor wouldn't run, so I took it to the local outdoors shop (which has since closed) and they charged me $35 and it ran like a top when I got it back. I last ran it in late Feb when I picked it up from the duck club, and last weekend couldn't get it to start. I HAVE seen the FAQ on motors not starting, but have a couple of questions

Is there an OEM manual available for this motor and if so, where? If there is no FSM available, are the generic manuals offered here sufficient?

When I pump the bulb, gas flows out of a hole on the front of the carb. Is that hole supposed to be open or ?. The plugs do not appear to be getting wet, so doesn't look like gas is getting to the cylinders. Stuck float possibly? Anyone have a link to a carb rebuild post with pics on a similar carb? I've rebuild some Jeep carbs, but never tried small engine carbs.

After running the engine for a few min, it seems to get slower. From what I've read here that would probably be coils going bad. I'm sure these are probably the original coils. Is there any way to test them or does one just replace?

Anyone have a link with pics showing water pump impeller replacement? Mine spits water out of the back, but not a great stream, and for peace of mind I feel like I outta replace it.

Lastly, while I'm fooling with this thing, I know I'm not supposed to run it out of the water, so where is the water pump intake? There are a few small holes on one side of the foot right above the prop. Is that the intake? I know I need to submerge the water intake to keep from ruining the impeller.

Thanks for any input anyone might have.

it is probably best just to submerge the whole lower unit in a garbage can of water, rather than try and find and affix one of the special hose adapters from hooking a garden hose up to your motor!!!

I have a manual and the same motor.....if you need me to look up a page

bob

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The carb is not easy to remove, the pull starter has to come off too. Make sure you do it right the first time. also, the cleaning is a piece of cake.

jeepwm69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go ahead and get that manual and replace coils, impeller, clean out carb, and replace oil in lower unit. That should have me good to go for awhile.

Now, I have seen that I should go OEM for the impeller, but in looking at coils I see there are different kinds available. Anyone recommend a particular coil?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have written a repair article on this motor, which may be of some help. It is buried in the "Engine Most Frequently Asked Questions" under 9.9 /15 repairs of this forum. Hope this may be of some help in your situation. http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC_6hp.htm

jeepwm69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, I did find that, and bookmarked it. I ordered a manual on ebay and will tear into this thing sometime next week. I'm sure I'll be back with a question or 10. Thanks for the link; pictures always help when working on this kinda stuff!