Hello, New Member Here, Johnson 88SPL

ALARVR

Cadet
Hello,
I am new registrant here, been lurking for a while, and wanted say thanks to the forum for the wealth of information available. I have a 1993 Johnson 88SPL, J88MSLETE, inherited from my Dad 10 years ago. Never had a problem with it except for a couple of starters. I am about to embark on the wonderful job of water pump repair kit installation. YES, I have not put one on in ten years!, YES feel free to beat up on me! Anyway, I ordered the parts, and have seen and read just about every post here on the issue, even looked at the parts breakdowns but am unable to find the linkage drawing showing the bolt/pin from the port side. But as you know nothing is like looking at the real thing in the engine. I am pretty confident with the lower end. The upper end is my problem. I just can't even SEE my linkage attachment from the port side. From the starboard side I can see it. It looks like a smooth end of a pin on this side sticking through the hole in the linkage. But as others have documented, its probably a bolt on the port side that is a booger to get to. My shifter linkage arm has a cotter pin that I wish would slide the whole thing off the pin on the linkage, but that is not the case I am sure. and and I wish it would. Instead of the multiple extension method I was going to try a flexi-extension. Anybody tried one of these?, can you get enough tourque on one to tighten sufficiently? Any new tips or tricks on this motor please let me know. And again thanks for the forum.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hello, New Member Here, Johnson 88SPL

Easy way to get to it is to remove lower carb. i've done it many times and it goes quicker then you might think.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Shift into reverse,it should brinng the 3/8 head ,which is also slotted into view,sometimes fuel lines can get into the view.The easiest way to get it is,a long 1/4 extension ,with a 3/8 head swivil joint socket.Take a piece of tape and wrap the joint on the socket,that will help keep it stiff enough to get it in place,when its time to replace it ,grease packed into the socket will often stick the pin into the socket,OR,use a claw type of grabber sold at tool centers for about a buck,I have a real long needle nose I use.If you need to,you can gain some access to the shift rod to push into place,you can get it under the lower cowl pan ,this part may be more obvious at time of need.Also,I find the removal of the shift cable to be helpful when trying to reinstall the shift pin.With the right tools,its not too bad,the carb removal advice is god,but ,I never needed to do it with the tools I mentiones.If you cant get the one piece flex socket,you can sustitute with a 1/4 flex.

ALARVR

Cadet

Thanks. But after hours more of reading, printing schematics, searching the forums for "linkage" "shift" "impeller" and going out to the boat periodically to look and study. I have figured out that my motor IS one of the ones that has the cotter pin, so I suppose, as I have read, all I will have to do is pull the pin and push the linkage arm to the port side to disengage the pin to the shift linkage. Sounds good in theory, my parts are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, will update progress after the weekend attempt.