'93 Evinrude 88 Special Starting Problem

bdh004

Recruit
Hello everyone! This is my first post. I have searched around for similar posts but could not find one exactly like this.

I have a 1993 Evinrude 88 Special. About 3 weeks ago my motor began having difficulties starting. It would spin up and hit the flywheel and spin a few times then stop spinning the gear and continue spinning without turning the gear at the top of the starter. It makes a humming noise when this happens. It ended up starting sporadically out on the water and I was able to get home alright. Once at home the motor will not start. I charge the battery and it starts up.

Now, 3 weeks after this, I go to start the motor and it does the same thing. I take a second battery that I have and charge it. I put the charged battery in and the same thing happens. I take reading with a mulitmeter and the battery reads 12.6 volts. The wires that connect to the engine read 12.6 volts. The starter reads 12.6 volts when trying to start. I charge another battery and put it in and it starts right up. The battery read 12.9 volts. While the engine idled the battery continued to read 12.9 volts.

The 12.6 volt battery tested good at advanced auto parts. It had 592 CCA.

I am not really sure what is going on here. Can someone please advise?

P.S. Both of these batteries are deep cycle batteries. I am unsure if they are the correct batter to start and run my boat.

D

DJ

Re: '93 Evinrude 88 Special Starting Problem

Remove the negative battery cable FROM THE ENGINE BLOCK and clean it thoroughly. Bolt too!

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Change out or rebuild your starter.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible the starter solenoid is bad. The contacts could be dirty and not passing current properly.