Stuck in forward need diagnostic steps.

My inlaws have a 2002 Oddysey Pontoon boat with a 2002 5Ohp Johnson Outboard. Recently after taking the boat out in the intercoastal and upon returning to the dock the engine became stuck in forward.

I am experienced in I/O repairs and understand outboard basics but I would appreciate a quick diagnostic checklist of what items need to be invesitgated to determine what the cause of the problem is.

I am taking an educated guess that it will be the shift cable and that will be the first thing I look at when I go to help figure out the problem but if it is not the shift cable can someone give me an idea of other items to look at to diagnois the problem.

Thanks.

mike1245

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stuck in forward need diagnostic steps.

first thing to do is make sure motor is trimmed down then try agian if that dont work disconect shifter cable from motor and try shifter cable if all it good try to manualy shift motoer in to nuetral also try to slowly spin prop while shifting sometime that also helps if that dont work may have to drop lower unit

Re: Stuck in forward need diagnostic steps.

Well after taking a look at the shift lever and cable in action I decided to disconnect the cables and attempt to manually engage the motor. It worked!! Looks like it just got stuck and needed some marine lube around the area to make sure it does not stick again.

Thanks.